Web
Analytics
Report - - Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Bracebridge Heath - Dec 13 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Bracebridge Heath - Dec 13

SpiderMonkey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
#1
Sorry this ones a bit late, visited on Boxing Day 2013 with Goldie87, was a great day for it :)

History:
St John’s Asylum, Lincolnshire in the East of England was built 1852. The building was then known as Lindsey & Holland Counties & Lincoln & District Lunatic Asylum. The Asylum has also been known over the years as Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum and Bracebridge Heath Asylum. Finally it was given the name St John’s during the early 1960’s.

It was originally built to house just 250 patients but by 1902 the asylum grounds covered 120 acres. The grounds of the asylum were cultivated by the inmates where they grew their own vegetables. Within the grounds was a cemetery for the hospital which covered 1.5 acres. St John’s also had its own mortuary chapel.

After the outbreak of World War II during 1940, the patients were transferred to other nearby establishments as the hospital was turned into an emergency hospital. In 1948 the administration of the hospital was passed to the National Health Service.
The asylum finally closed its doors during December 1989 with all the patients being transferred to other nearby hospitals.
The site was then sold to developers who have converted a lot of the site into new housing.
All that now remains is the main asylum buildings which are Grade II listed and cannot be demolished. However work is now under way to convert the main buildings into flats.

Pics:
12658544034_523d56934d_c.jpg


12658102115_995ea483a7_c.jpg


12658168173_94bd1f9353_c.jpg


12658276323_548a168856_c.jpg


12658213785_dbbd445066_c.jpg


12658251705_41d7ec2529_c.jpg


Thanks for looking :)