real time web analytics
Report - - Llanberis (Dinorwic) Slate Quarries - Llanberis - May 2015 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Llanberis (Dinorwic) Slate Quarries - Llanberis - May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cheers all, as you can tell by the report I enjoyed my stroll around the quarries. It had been something I'd wanted to do for a long time was visit the far flung corners away from the main area.

Years since I've been there - reminds me of Johnny Dawes & Stone Monkey... great report, cheers.

I did spend a few minutes looking at the Quarryman and working out where the Fire Escape continued. An impressive bit of rock and was sat where they filmed it from.

For those who don't know who Jonny Dawes, he was at the cutting edge of hard, bold routes in the 80's and early 90's, a climbing legend. Stone Monkey was one of the first climbing videos, many have followed but few even the modern ones get close to Stone Monkey, must be watched with the original soundtrack which included Frank Zappa, Lloyd Cole and Talking Heads.

Alas this bit of the video showing Jonny climbing The Quarryman doesn't have the soundtrack, but it has the awesome moves. Starts at about 1.28 minutes into it.

johnboy50

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I guess the lack of wagon wheels is because they were relatively easy to remove and carry away for scrap. It's the same in most quarries. Dinorwic never fails to impress me 50 years after I came across it. Truly awesome.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cheers all, was a lovely stroll :D

Lush. One day I'm finally going to get back here and do some of the higher levels.

It's well worth the effort, possibly not quite as extensive as the middle sections, but lots of hidden gems and less trashed, not that much is anyway.