real time web analytics
Report - - Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital, Aldershot - September 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital, Aldershot - September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rachyt

Beauty isn’t always perfection
28DL Full Member
Explored this after we had done the CMH, the building was much bigger than I thought and it seemed to go on forever, you can see where they are starting redevelopment as a lot of the floors have been and there are a lot of support struts and joists in place, but the majority of the building is still untouched. Again its hard to imagine it as a fully functioning hospital bustling with nurses, expectant mothers and babies being delivered, I find the decay beautiful and wasn't expecting the kitchen to still have pretty much everything left in it as I thought it would have been stripped like CMH.

Bit of history...

The Louise Margaret Hospital was opened in 1898 to cater for British Army soldiers' wives and children in the military town of Aldershot Garrison. It started with fifty-three beds and about half of its cases were maternity patients. In 1958 it became the Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital, and closed in 1995. The old hospital is part of a group of historic buildings with legal protection and, as of 2016, is expected to be used in a redevelopment project.

The Duchess of Connaught, formerly Princess Louise Margaret, laid the foundation stone for the hospital bearing her name on 1 March 1897, just as her husband, the Duke of Connaught, was taking over Aldershot Command. She declared the new building open on 25 July 1898 in a ceremony with a military band, guard of honour and a service with three clergymen. A bouquet of pink roses was presented by an officer's daughter before the Matron, Miss Hodgson, and the Commanding Officer, William Watson Pike, a doctor in the Royal Army Medical Corps showed her round.

The new yellow-brick building with slate roofs echoed the construction materials used by its larger neighbour, the Cambridge Military Hospital. It cost £12,600 to build and had sanitary blocks incorporated in Italianate corner towers towards the back. There were fifty-three beds arranged in eleven wards of different sizes, including wards named for Queen Victoria, the Duke of Connaught and Lord Lansdowne. The staircases had shallow steps, supposed to help nurses in long dresses run up and down. A fine tiled operating theatre was added in 1908 and officially opened by the Duchess in 1909. It had a new sort of brilliant light and Doulton basins and sinks fitted with the latest kind of mixing valves for hot and cold water with elbow-action and sprays. Within a couple of years the hospital was treating around 1000 cases annually: about half in its General Division and half in its Maternity Division which had twenty-five swing cots along with twenty-five beds.

As well as the Matron or Lady Superintendent there were fourteen nurses in 1908. All were qualified but seven of them were short-term appointees doing additional training in midwifery. The hospital was already an officially recognised midwifery training school preparing twenty nurses a year for the Central Midwives Board examination. By 1912 there were two weekly clinics: one for tooth extraction and one for special gynaecological outpatients.

Rachyt

28DL Full Member
Rather nice this - has it appeared on here before?
I think it’s been on here along with the Cambridge Military Hospital posts but I wanted to do it as it’s own post as it is actually separate to the other buildings, and has its own history

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's been on a lot, back in the day, in actual fact people got into this part far more than the main CMH building yet still referred to it as the CMH a lot of the time!
Looking at the old posts I see now - thought I'd seen those bleeding doors before somewhere.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice natural decay, its only us explorers that seem to find decay beautiful. But as my motto says "I see beauty in the unloved" nicely done Rachyt :D

Rachyt

28DL Full Member
Nice natural decay, its only us explorers that seem to find decay beautiful. But as my motto says "I see beauty in the unloved" nicely done Rachyt :D
I find the natural decay fascinating it really was so beautiful there, couldn’t agree with you more, just like my motto, “beauty isn’t always perfection “ the paint peel there was some of the best I’ve seen, so many layers built up over time, loved it!!

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
This was a nice place. ALways regret not trying harder on the mortuary.
Remind me, the three doors, that was a set for something right (the drips being painted on) . Anyone know what the film or tv was?

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
This was a nice place. ALways regret not trying harder on the mortuary.
Remind me, the three doors, that was a set for something right (the drips being painted on) . Anyone know what the film or tv was?
I knew i wasn't the only one that thought this! I can't find any info on it anywhere, went here recently its definitely something everyone knows but no-one can say what

reah_b

28DL Member
28DL Member
Is anybody able to share a recent update on the building? Is it still accessible? Many thanks :-)

Who has read this thread (Total: 612) View details