real time web analytics
Report - - Luge riding the Snowdon Mountain Railway - summer 2022 | Other Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Luge riding the Snowdon Mountain Railway - summer 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Thats pretty hilarious nicely done. I miss this place, I biked up & down the hill over a dozen times but not for many years.

Im intrigued how long do u recon the descent took? I think my record is C20min on bike!
The plan was we needed to be absolutely nowhere near any track when there could be trains. Including an early morning engineering train coming to check the line before service and take supplies to halfway house cafe. So we wanted to set off not long after sunrise and be down the bottom and vanished crazy early -- so in theory this was going to be totally under the radar and nobody would see this, not even report on it. Zip down at high speed and tell nobody

But what I hadn't expected was a constant stream of people walking up and down the Llanberis path to summit and back at all times of day and night in "Summer" (about 5C and strongly blowing drizzle), there were people queuing for the summit at 03:00 in bad weather on a Sunday morning! unbelievable! I just had no idea how busy it could get in a Summer weekend, crowds of people walking down in first light who waved and shouted good morning to us as we went past, or shouted if we had a spare cart, one enthusiastic lady was shouting something about going on the back as we went past. So this is unfortunately not a well kept secret even before I posted the report.

I took a long time to get down as I was having real problems braking after I got below Clogwyn Station (that's where the line if open to train service and the rails are greased). So I got decent bits of speed on the upper section, but low speed then after. The very steep sections were a grim battle with braking, running at a very slow speed, it took me something like an hour - still great fun!

The less steep was more enjoyable than the steep bits, weirdly - there you could ride the track and not be in a battle for survival on the brink of losing control every second I massively enjoyed it though. I think bravery is one factor and shoe choice is another, I had 5.10 guides (which are awful, don't buy them) and these didn't work on the wheels, he had a knackered old pair of office shoes which had a heel with no grip or tread just smooth soft rubber - actually that turns out to be the perfect choice for foot-braking longboard wheels ;) Also it could be that in May (before the season is open) the rails might have rusted slightly over winter - all the speed limitation was braking issues at no point did I come close to danger from being flung off sideways

"M" did better with braking due to a combination of better shoes and his cast iron test-icicles - he got a lot more speed especially in the lower sections not sure what his time was but it was much much faster than me. He has the GoPro footage, not sure when I can get it, but may be able to edit some short clips when I can into a 90 second "teaser" at some point

Not sure there'll be another time as this was too public to be able to ever repeat (and the carts may be re-purposed for another project already being floated! which may involve travel "excuse me sir, what is that in your luggage?"), but I reckon I could 1/2 or 1/3 my running time if I ever repeated it, now I know what to do and what *not* to do and how the track is and how to brake. Was the first ever run on a track, learning experience. I reckon 25 minutes is possible, but difficult as you have to jump up at points like passing places in stations unless you had actual train flanged wheels and all the points were set perfectly

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The plan was we needed to be absolutely nowhere near any track when there could be trains. Including an early morning engineering train coming to check the line before service and take supplies to halfway house cafe. So we wanted to set off not long after sunrise and be down the bottom and vanished crazy early -- so in theory this was going to be totally under the radar and nobody would see this, not even report on it. Zip down at high speed and tell nobody

But what I hadn't expected was a constant stream of people walking up and down the Llanberis path to summit and back at all times of day and night in "Summer" (about 5C and strongly blowing drizzle), there were people queuing for the summit at 03:00 in bad weather on a Sunday morning! unbelievable! I just had no idea how busy it could get in a Summer weekend, crowds of people walking down in first light who waved and shouted good morning to us as we went past, or shouted if we had a spare cart, one enthusiastic lady was shouting something about going on the back as we went past. So this is unfortunately not a well kept secret even before I posted the report.

I took a long time to get down as I was having real problems braking after I got below Clogwyn Station (that's where the line if open to train service and the rails are greased). So I got decent bits of speed on the upper section, but low speed then after. The very steep sections were a grim battle with braking, running at a very slow speed, it took me something like an hour - still great fun!

The less steep was more enjoyable than the steep bits, weirdly - there you could ride the track and not be in a battle for survival on the brink of losing control every second I massively enjoyed it though. I think bravery is one factor and shoe choice is another, I had 5.10 guides (which are awful, don't buy them) and these didn't work on the wheels, he had a knackered old pair of office shoes which had a heel with no grip or tread just smooth soft rubber - actually that turns out to be the perfect choice for foot-braking longboard wheels ;) Also it could be that in May (before the season is open) the rails might have rusted slightly over winter - all the speed limitation was braking issues at no point did I come close to danger from being flung off sideways

"M" did better with braking due to a combination of better shoes and his cast iron test-icicles - he got a lot more speed especially in the lower sections not sure what his time was but it was much much faster than me. He has the GoPro footage, not sure when I can get it, but may be able to edit some short clips when I can into a 90 second "teaser" at some point

Not sure there'll be another time as this was too public to be able to ever repeat (and the carts may be re-purposed for another project already being floated! which may involve travel "excuse me sir, what is that in your luggage?"), but I reckon I could 1/2 or 1/3 my running time if I ever repeated it, now I know what to do and what *not* to do and how the track is and how to brake. Was the first ever run on a track, learning experience. I reckon 25 minutes is possible, but difficult as you have to jump up at points like passing places in stations unless you had actual train flanged wheels and all the points were set perfectly

Yep always people there. Though there is a bridleway up it, there is a voluntary ban on bikes after 10am till 7pm so if u are riding it u have to b heading up at 5am.
I do love the look on walkers faces as u ride past em but they must of been completely baffled to see u going down on them lol

Fluffy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I do love the look on walkers faces as u ride past em but they must of been completely baffled to see u going down on them lol

To be fair, if someone went down on me, or even my girlfriend, in the middle of a public hiking path up Snowdon, I'd have quite a baffled look on my face too!

Absolutely epic report @CantClimbTom - Hugely jealous, even more respect, and huge adoration about everything to do with this. Love it.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Oh no what did I say? to lighten the mood here's me at what is now halfway station cafe, C1990

Warning high 90s lycra content

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
VERY nicely done, dont think the trains been working for a few years now definetly wouldnt want to meet it on your descent :oops

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
VERY nicely done, dont think the trains been working for a few years now definetly wouldnt want to meet it on your descent :oops

It's been running but only 2/3 of the way up and then you have to walk.

The prices for it are getting redic thou - £45 for an adult return.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Currently they are running a train service between Llanberis and Clogwyn station, but people can only use the return part of a return ticket if they come straight down on the same train.

Witt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is absolutely incredible!

I wouldn't fancy getting caught up on the track for the rack and pinion drive system, top work mate

Who has read this thread (Total: 347) View details