real time web analytics
Report - - Manchester Cathedral Steps - 14/02/08 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manchester Cathedral Steps - 14/02/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

R

romanian1

The Cathedral Steps were wooden staircases that descended from street level on Victoria Street in Manchester, to landing stages built into the embankment of the River Irwell, and finally to floating moored platforms. The purpose of the steps was to allow fare-paying passengers access to Steam packet riverboats which provided tours of the River and also travel to other towns in the area, including Barton, Lymm, and Liverpool. The steps were so named due to their close proximity to Manchester Cathedral.

During the Second World War, the stages and the tunnels surrounding them were converted into air-raid shelters.

Visited With Saul-son and Lawrence.

Was nice to see these finally after having stood above them so many times wondering what was down there and then after the first reports just how i was going to get myself in there to see it for myself, all i can say is it doesnt dissapoint.

Nice one Keith warrender for the book underground manchester which provided a handy map.

DSCF9260.jpg

DSCF9265.jpg

DSCF9264.jpg

DSCF9267.jpg

DSCF9274.jpg

DSCF9275.jpg

Anyone have any idea what these are? signals of some sort?
DSCF9279.jpg

DSCF9280.jpg

DSCF9281.jpg