real time web analytics
Report - - Manchester Cathedral Steps/Victoria Arches, Feb 2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manchester Cathedral Steps/Victoria Arches, Feb 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Victoria Arches/Cathedral Steps - Visited by Ojay, Stepping Lightly & Userscott

APOLOGIES - (PIC HEAVY)

Situated 'Under' Victoria street between Victoria Bridge St and Hanging Ditch known as Hunts Bank.

_1011266.jpg

My 2nd Visit to the 'Arches' since major fail last time getting in the so called 'Easy' entrance....and getting busted!!!

Having met up once again on a freezing cold night in Manchester, I was now only too familiar with the 'Getting in is not for the faint hearted'..
and guess what you were all right on that account, getting in was tricky to say the least and provided a few more grins thanks to S.L & Userscott who's original plans of pure genius have made it all possible, I have uploaded a fair few photo's, hope you don't mind as it's not everyday you get to see this place! and I know there has also been a fair few reports some old some new as it's well documented on here, but its definately one of Manchesters' finest UrbEx venues. Anyway thanks for looking :-)

Some History:

Dating back to the 1838 when the Arches were first constructed at a cost of between £60,000 and £100,000.
First advertised in October 1839, the arched vaults under Victoria were offered as being suitable for wine merchants, printers and machine makers.

Since 1840 they have been home to a number of tenants, including Robert Armstrong - Civil Engineer one of the earliest tenants manufacturing Scott's patent boiler cleaners. The electricity department where tests and investigations were made on electrical equipmemt until 1909. It then became home for a transformer station that was used between 1936 and 1957.

Also, in 1907 Thomas Cook & Son setup shop in the premises built onto the Arches by Victoria Bridge. Cook's had expanded by 1921 and were also
renting space at the Southern end of the Arches for offices and storage until 1932.

It's landing stages were also home to the Irwell Excursion which ran from 1895 until around 1901. The Irwell Steam Ferries would run in half hour intervals between 10:30am and 5:30pm to Manchester Docks, via Albert Bridge. There was also a cruise along the newly opened Manchester Ship Canal through Irlam, Lymm, Runcorn and Frodsham to Eastham and special Bank Holiday sailings to Liverpool and New Brighton.

During the War the Arches were converted and used as an Air-raid shelter, new entrances were installed along with flooring, seating and lighting.

Based on National guidelines, the shelter could hold upto 1030 people for 6 hours in unventilated conditions or as many as 5600 in an emergency if ventilated.

The entrances were from Victoria Bridge by a wooden stairway; Victoria Street junction with Fennel St by a flight of steps formed under the pavement (Now Sealed over) and from the Cathedral approach by means of a wooden stairway from the existing conveniences.

The So called 'Cathedral Steps' That once led down from near the Cathedral into the Arches
_1011190.jpg

The total cost of converting the Arches was estimated at £10,150 in 1939 and took around 3 months to complete with additional brick 'blast' walls.

A 500lb MC bomb could perforate and 'blow through' if it made a direct hit over the crown of the arch, however the Arches were deemed 'safe' and suitable for air-raid shelter accommodation.

In the later years access to the Arches was only possible via the steps over the river wall, the northern cartway entrance having being sealed off by 1905.

Main Passageway Through The Arches
_1011146.jpg

_1011180.jpg

_1011182.jpg

To Arches 1,2 & 3
_1011142.jpg

Original Steps Leading Up To Street Level For Public Convenience
_1011227.jpg

Entrance To Gents Toilets
_1011145.jpg

Window Down To Washroom
_1011151.jpg

Down To Public Convenience
_1011176.jpg

Gents Toilets
_1011154.jpg

_1011159.jpg

Original Toilet Window; Rest In Pieces
_1011167.jpg

Washroom
_1011172.jpg

_1011161.jpg

Medical Post
_1011196.jpg

_1011218.jpg

_1011140.jpg

To The Arches >
_1011127.jpg

_1011133.jpg

_1011188.jpg

_1011185.jpg

_1011211.jpg

_1011235.jpg

Inside One Of The Arches, Note the Ventilation Ducts
_1011134.jpg

Stalagmites
_1011214.jpg

Remnants Of War Time - Air Raid Signage
_1011225.jpg

_1011237.jpg

Previous Use Of The Old Electricity Station
_1011139.jpg

_1011202.jpg

Last edited:

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent report top mark's and i love the high view shot absolute quality...there won't be anything left under manchester for you to visit soon.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
LOL,thanks mate, I was thinking that, but theres plenty more tunnels yet:thumb

morse

The Green Giraffe
28DL Full Member
nice pics. every report always includes new views of it, well done!
still havent been in there, eventhough i found the entrance ages ago... soon!

H

Hessian

Always liked this location! A good set and high photo to set the scene :p

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice work pal keep at it! Coming along nicely your stuff is!

Thanks dude, I'm trying to get about, need to look at manchesters drains now, as I seem to be missing out on some quality underground stuff :)