real time web analytics
Report - - Manchester Central Station (GMEX), November 2013. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manchester Central Station (GMEX), November 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Manchester Central Station (GMEX)

1.jpg

Manchester Central Station was opened by the Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC) railway company on 1st July 1880

The CLC was a partnership of three railway companies that had come together in the 1860's, consisting of the Great Northern Railway (GNR), the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MSLR) and the Midland Railway (MR)

The MSLR shared a terminus station with the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) at Manchester London Road

The MSLR allowed the MR and the GNR to use their part of the station, but by the 1870's this situation was becoming a problem as London Road was increasingly congested

Choosing its resident engineer Lewis Henry Moorsom, the CLC decided to build the permanent Manchester Central station, and work on the building commenced in 1875

Areas of notorious slum dwellings, which inspired the writings of Frederick Engels, had occupied the land on which the station was built

The City fathers were pleased to see the area cleared, although it is doubtful that any thought have been given to the individuals who lived there

Robert Neill & Sons, at a cost of £124,778, undertook the construction work

2.jpg

When the station opened it consisted of a magnificent arched single-span roof, constructed by Andrew Handyside & Co

The dimensions of the arch at Manchester Central were 210 feet wide, 550 feet long and 90 feet high at the highest point

The frame itself weighed 2,400 tons and was covered using a combination of slate and glass

3.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

16.jpg

Underneath the roof, there were six platform faces, four of which were situated on two island platforms served by nine tracks

The lines exited the station via some very heavily engineered bridges and viaducts that carried the line down to Cornbrook where the Liverpool, Heaton Mersey and Chester lines separated

For the public the main entrance to the station was at the Windmill Street end

A large clock face was provided on the inside and on the outside of the station

6.jpg

The last trains ran out of the station on Saturday 3rd May 1969

(Here two DMUs waiting to depart, with closure looming, only local services to Chester and Liverpool remained)
7.jpg

Following its closure the station was sold to the NCP Car Parking empire in 1972

It slowly decayed, acting not only as a symbol of the decline of Britain's railways but also of the country's Northern industrial towns

It was purchased by the Greater Manchester Council in 1978

Thankfully, as Manchester began to resurrect itself from its decline in the early 1980's, the City officials focussed their attention on the station

In 1983 it was given Grade II Listed status, then work began on converting it to an exhibition hall

On 7th March 1986 it re-opened to the public as the GMEX exhibition hall

The station had an extensive undercroft which was a former goods storage and trans-shipment area

(A couple of older pics from previous visits)

8.jpg

9.jpg

The rooftop also provides a unique view of the City from above

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Myself & Bigjobs

13.jpg

14.jpg

It's a bit noisy to say the least this one, inside there appeared to be a number of people looking for us, on the way out I decided we go wave and say hello, naturally Jobs obliged :D

"You've been up there haven't you?"

Bigjobs:

"No mate.. You can't get up there anyway can you" ;)

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent photos, dont fancy that in the wet, your fourth shot is a snorter :thumb

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
Actul conversation went

"What you doing?"
"Being nosey"
"You've been up there haven't you?"
"What, you can get up there?"
"We've got you on camera up there?"
"Who? Me?"
"Be careful mate"
Smile & wink and off we go :D

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
Yeah, always have been able to. Been a few years since I've been down there, but it's still doable by all accounts

mikecawood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Many thanks for posting this, I often go by this on the Metrolink and it is a fascinating place. It is has recently been renamed from GMEX to Manchester Central.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I think it's still officially GMEX, but to many it will always be Central Station