real time web analytics
Report - - Manchester Town Hall & Clock Tower, 2010. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manchester Town Hall & Clock Tower, 2010.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Manchester Town Hall & Clock Tower, 2010 - Visited By Ojay.

Old.jpg

Completed in 1887, this most impressive neo-Gothic building cost a million pounds and is acknowledged as a masterpiece in its own right. It rises as a Victorian edifice - a monument to the civic pride of the city fathers, reaching 286 feet above Albert Square below.

Designed by Alfred Waterhouse, a leading contemporary architect, it was fitted masterfully onto an awkward triangular space - although not unanimously liked as the best looking design, it proved the most practical of the 136 other designs entered. Manchester had achieved city status in 1853, and was keen to show off its civic dignity. Inside it is lavishly and richly decorated, with mosaic floors bearing the "bees", symbols of Manchester's industry, and has wall murals by Ford Madox Brown.

At the front main entrance, a statue of the Roman Governor, Agricola, surveys the square. He had founded the original fort of Mamuciam, from which the city began, and is thus honoured by a statue over the main front entrance to the Town Hall. The building dominates Albert Square, with its monument to Queen Victoria's consort, and statues of some of Manchester's great men.
- Manchester UK.

I was here earlier in the year on 'other business'.

Whilst inside there seemed to be a bit of fuss, and I accidently one of the upper floors amongst the chaos!

It's quite a large building, almost maze like, I had a good old mooch before being asked to leave
:D

On with some pics.....

I get the feeling I shouldn't really be here..

1a.jpg

2.jpg

A curious doorway appeared to open with a quick shove ;)

Tick-Tock

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Continuing up the spiral stairwell for what seemed like an age,

A.N other door....

8.jpg

The bells

9.jpg

Hammer time

10.jpg

I thought it would be a good idea to wait until the hour...talk about ear piercings

Looking up into the Spire

11.jpg

Albert Square

12.jpg

13.jpg

Courtyard

14.jpg

15.jpg

Some nice features up here

16.jpg

And some decent views

17.jpg