Web
Analytics
Report - - Manisty Wharf factory (Cheshire, Sept, 2017) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Manisty Wharf factory (Cheshire, Sept, 2017)

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A decaying factory, close to the M53 near Ellesmere port - the part explored is outlined in the satellite image below. The two sheds at the top are currently active salt and sand stores and the two sheds at the bottom are being used by an aggregates company. The factory next door is active, making packaging.

I have been unable to find out anything about this place except that the last occupation appears to have been around 1994 - for now this site is just called the ‘Manisty Wharf factory’. It comprises a block of offices and huge hanger-like sheds which contain nothing much except rock salt in piles and bags. There are few clues as to what was made or distributed from here except several mention of ‘reels’ - could be wire, film, anything.

This is quite a fun place to explore - plenty of rooms, things to climb, a roof to inspect etc. My favourite parts were all the office rooms growing ferns, a bit like Victorian glasshouses. My limited photographic skills don’t really do justice to the colours here.

If anyone wants to visit this then maybe they should bring along some wildflower seeds to sow on the soggy carpets - 'take only photographs, leave only flowers' has a ring to it..

Last edited:

Yorrick

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks a good wander.

I have been unable to find out anything about this place
It was Bowater Sacks Factory. Taken over or renamed Papropack Ltd and disolved in 2000. They made cartons and boxes.
They were a subsidiary of Mo & Domsjo (UK) Ltd (now called Holmen) A Swedish business that makes pulp from trees and recycled paper and card.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks a good wander.
It was Bowater Sacks Factory. Taken over or renamed Papropack Ltd and disolved in 2000. They made cartons and boxes.
They were a subsidiary of Mo & Domsjo (UK) Ltd (now called Holmen) A Swedish business that makes pulp from trees and recycled paper and card.
Thanks for that!
May I ask how you find this stuff out?
I keep on coming across this problem with buildings for which google gives me nothing.

Yorrick

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You really think I’m going to share thirty years of Astro physics, aerodynamics and aerospace engineering?

Oh..... wait...... this isn’t rocket science.....?

Start with a Land Registry map enquiry. In this case it gave the name, but more often than not with abandoned buildings it says something like “land to the North East of Netherpool Road”. However it will usually give you a postcode or address that you can Google.

The local council planning department website often turns up a name or even history of names. I didn’t look this time as most of their websites are slow and clunky, and I already had a name.

If you’ve got the name of a limited company then Company’s house Webcheck will often have info and dates. In this case, maybe as it’s a subsidiary of a Swedish company, I didn’t find anything.

Once I had the names the first page of Google had the other details -

Someone’s LinkedIn profile said he had worked for Papropack, formerly Bowater Sacks until 1996 etc.

When you get into it, it rarely takes more than a couple of minutes.

FYI the building next door (possibly just the end nearest the M53) is Saica who do indeed make paper.

(I think the building next door) It used to be Bridgewater Paper Mill and I think I remember seeing a couple of reports on here from the period when it was closed in around 2010?

Last edited:

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks - evidently need to pull my socks up with this stuff...

I'd kind of given up on the Land Registry, but in this case it does indeed give an address. For most of the things I've found it just says land to the whatever side of and I don't feel inclined to pay to see what it might be.

The local council planning application page also turned out to have a (sort of) clickable map that brings up useful info.

Maybe your searching tips should be in the FAQ (maybe there is already something there but FAQ doesn't seem to work, admins?)

host

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another nice report, despite its lack of epic turbines i quite like palaces like this. I'll put it on the list with the other one close by..sorry double post.