real time web analytics
Report - - Mayfield Station (Disused) Manchester 11-12 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mayfield Station (Disused) Manchester 11-12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mayfield Station (Disused) Manchester 11-12

With very short notice, I was invited to join Zer081 and a couple of others to explore the abandoned station in Manchester! I had tried many times over the years to get in myself but always failed - until this night!
Even though it can be seen by the many thousands of travellers who disembark at Manchester Piccadilly, you could still class this as a 'Hidden Gem!'
With the opening of the Styal line in 1909, the increase in passengers arriving became too much for the then named Manchester London road station. So Mayfield was constructed adjacent with it's four lines linked to the main network in 1910.
In 1960 it was closed to passengers for the last time and then gained a rebirth in 1970 as a parcel depot.
The demise of this beautiful building was forged when road haulage was favoured over rail and in 1986 - it closed.
There is talk of the site being flattened and flats constructed so typically - a structure that survived the war (Direct hit) and many years of the Manchester rain - gets destroyed by developers and their wallets.
I went again a few days later to do a model shoot but a bunch of chavs turned up and we decided to cancel! But not before I got some daytime pictures!

Beneath the platform - a huge storage area!
Mayfield-72b-1.jpg

Some offices! This support style was common throughout the building!
Mayfield-70b-1.jpg

A very wet office!
Mayfield-61b-1.jpg

Office again! The recess above is the platforms.
Mayfield-58b-1.jpg

Inside it - Post office colour scheme.
Mayfield-51b-1.jpg

Stairs to the platforms.
Mayfield-38b-1.jpg

More stairs to ground level.
Mayfield-17b-1.jpg

Platform - using my new LED floodlight.
Mayfield-10b-1.jpg

Daytime shot.
Mayfield-10-2b.jpg

Looking down!
Mayfield-7-2b.jpg

Night shot.
Mayfield-6b-1.jpg

Long platform.
Mayfield-3-2b.jpg

Buffers!These were what I really wanted to see! They are Huge!
Mayfield-4b-1.jpg

Again in daylight!
Mayfield-2-2b.jpg

External!
DSC04218.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details