real time web analytics
Report - - Medlock Culvert - Manchester - April 2013 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Medlock Culvert - Manchester - April 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Medlock Culvert - Manchester

History

This section of the River Medlock is literally culverted under the Eastlands area of Manchester, it is reasonably short and sweet, about 600 meters long and is full of lovely Victorian Brick-Like Goodness. Around halfway through it is intersected with a cool waterfall from the nearby canal system that runs through Philips Park, and then proceeds down to the Outfall towards Aardwick.

2-23_zps4d5861ac.jpg

My Visit

This nice looking stroll has been near the top of my list for a fair bit, unfortunately I had other things to do on Sunday so this became a Bank Holiday Monday stroll. More or less incident free except for the choice of camera dunking or flooded wellies at one point, camera one of course. I even got told by a child as I entered the park to enjoy myself playing :)

As with most people I started by finding the upstream end of the culvert and was washed downstream, usual collection of shopping trolleys, lost footballs and empty wine bottles at the entrance.

1-23_zps644acf43.jpg

Soon was in enjoying my subterranean stroll

3-23_zps91423003.jpg

Passing the odd interesting feature

4-23_zpsdb924a99.jpg

A quick play here resulted in my first welly fail, trouble with lone explores is running around to get props in place, the 12â€￾ deep section of the culvert got me in the dark!

5-23_zps9ce763fb.jpg

Back on that side of the culvert I had a proper look at the RCP section and the chamber above.

6-23_zpsc624edb7.jpg

7-23_zps5d768fee.jpg

8-23_zps697bf78a.jpg

Then on with the stroll.

9-22_zps4515e55c.jpg

The culvert is well worth a visit, for me the downstream end was probably my favorite.

11-19_zpsb0643399.jpg

10-21_zps6986f645.jpg

But the overflow from the canal was also an excellent feature, worthy of a cameo appearance for this report.

12-18_zps9a3e1f5d.jpg

Better looking without me, and a great side passage.

13-13_zpse0eb2cf3.jpg

A quick mooch around all the other side passages and features didn’t find too much of interest.

14-14_zps9d051a93.jpg

That’s it, it's not a proper culvert or drain explore without getting wet feet, slipping on your arse or nearly dropping your camera in the drink, this lived up to all these criteria so a worthy explore for when your next in Manchester.

Cheers,

TLR.​

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details