real time web analytics
Report - - Menston Mental Hospital - 09.12.07 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Menston Mental Hospital - 09.12.07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sixxfingers

Original Member
28DL Full Member
Highroyds Hospital
Visited again today with myself, Madmax & Disco Kitten. With intention of capturing some stuff as the sun came up. Early start, with a comedy moment as DK appeared out of the shadows as we entered... Nearly a brown trousers moment :D

Straight to the clock tower while it was dark. Up there it really does give you a great size of the scale of this place... Must have been so beautiful in its hey day, but sadly his demise is ever growing. Due to Pikey's and bad explorers, this place will soon be gone... :(

We took in most of the key features around the vast hospital and finished off in the Female Sick & Infirm Block, where DK was very excited when we found some intact cells...! I'm sure Disco will be so pleased to get these up, i was where she spent the longest :D

A Short Historical Timeline:
Architect: Vickers Edwards
Built: 1884-1888
Opened 8.10.1888 - 1.1.1927: 1,807 "insane" of whom all but 199 were Rate Aided. 873 were men, 934 women. In 1926 the proportion of recoveries to admissions was 34.7%. The proportion of deaths to the asylum population was 9.5%.
Became Highroyds Hospital in 1963 - 1,152 staffed beds 31.12.1975
Autumn 2002 reported due for closure
Closing 2003. Maybe February. Site for sale.
Patients from last five wards to be transferred to the Mount Hospital, Clarendon Road, Leeds, on 25.2.2003

What does frustrate me the most, is the way it is being pillaged... and all the fantastic floor and ceramic wall tiles will only take so much of this abuse. Anyway, a great explore... enjoy some of my images form today ;)

The sunrise from the top of the clock tower...
HR1.jpg

One of the four faces in the tower...
HR3.jpg

HR2.jpg

HR22.jpg

Just inside front of Admin...
HR5.jpg

More of Admin...
HR6.jpg

HR7.jpg

HR8.jpg

View attachment 85631

Some of the intact fantastic Stained Glass that so far, survives...
HR4.jpg

The Main Hall...
HR11.jpg

HR9.jpg

Some strange character from Dead Man's Shoe's on the stage! :D
HR10.jpg

A Selection of corridoors...
HR12.jpg

HR21.jpg

The Pharmacy...
HR17.jpg

HR16.jpg

HR18.jpg

On the wards...
HR19.jpg

The Mortuary...
HR13.jpg

HR14.jpg

HR15.jpg

And DK's favourite part!
HR20.jpg

MADMAX

28DL Full Member
Re: Menston Mental Hospital REPORT - 09.12.07

Finally, after our trip there the other week which was ruined by contractors and failing light, we got back to the infamous High Royds.

Like Sixx said, Disco Kitten stepped out of the shadows as we entered causing mild panic, but other than that access was reasonably straight forward, if you know what you're doing ;)

We headed straight for the top of the clock tower in the pitch black (no torches allowed) to try and catch the sunrise. I pulled the hatch back at the top and swore out loud at what was before us. It was genuinely one of those real classic UE moments as the sun came up.

We then headed back down into Admin, the Main hall, the Morgue and then the epileptic block in the male side of the complex amongst others. As Sixx said, we finished off in sick and infirm Block on the Female side.

Having grown up only 15 miles from this place and having a relative who lived in Menston village, I've always been interested in High Royds.
So this trip put the final piece in the puzzle for me.
It's just a shame that the place is getting ruined by chavs and pikey's.
I'm going to controversially say that I hope the conversion of the rest of High Royds gets finished soon :(
Otherwise some of the architecture and the likes of the mosaic floor in admin will be lost forever.

Stepping out onto the roof of the clock Tower and a group shot
DSC_0006-1.jpg
group.jpg

The Sun comes up over High Royds Mental Hospital
DSC_0002.jpg

Inside the Clock Tower that is thankfully still in mint condition
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg

The Male part of the hospital from a broken Clock Tower window
outofwindow.jpg

No Escape for patients down this corridor and some nice blue paintwork in one of the toilets
DSC_0059.jpg
DSC_0041-1.jpg

Sixxfingers in action
sixx-2.jpg

Some of the amazing floor and window detail in the Admin block
DSC_0046.jpg
DSC_0043.jpg

The WW1 memorial at the end of the Reception Hall in Admin
plaque.jpg

The Main Hall now has its own pond and some weirdo on the stage
DSC_0054-1.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg

A fold-out bed and an awesome pair of curtains in one of the male blocks
DSC_0078-1.jpg

Under The Mortury Table and down the plug hole
DSC_0069.jpg
DSC_0067-1.jpg

sixxfingers

Original Member
28DL Full Member

With some info help from Silverstealth & Discokitten :thumb
Here's a map, I've put together... ;)

HighRoydsMap20-10-21.jpg

Just need OT to host the original at a good size, any chance mate? :rolleyes:

sixxfingers

Original Member
28DL Full Member

Took Tims & Access today, to give them a bit of a tour of High Royds before its too late. Here's a few images from today that I missed from my first trip.

The beautiful Entrance floor in Admin:
HR23.jpg

HR28.jpg

And the ceramic wall tiles:
HR29.jpg

The Hospital Safe:
HR26.jpg

Chubb of course...
HR25.jpg

The Patients Bank:
HR27.jpg

HR24.jpg

The Stores:
HR30.jpg

And the long material cutting & dressing bench:
HR31.jpg

Orders taken in the Stores:
HR32.jpg

Some of the patients artwork...
HR33.jpg

I know we are all tired now of seeing this place, but its been a great explore and over my three trips... its been so, so worth it! What an Asylum...
Thank you High Royds.