real time web analytics
Report - - High Royds Hospital Mortuary, Menston - May 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - High Royds Hospital Mortuary, Menston - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User

HighRoyds-2.jpg

The History

High Royds Hospital in Menston, West Yorkshire, opened as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1888. It was constructed in a Gothic style following the broad arrow asylum plan which predated the compact arrow plan commonly seen at later asylums. High Royds was a typical Victorian county asylum and functioned for over a century. Following the care in the community act of the 1980s and general datedness of its facilities, it became ill-fitted to modern practise. In 1999, the chief executive of Leeds Mental Health reviewed complaints of violence and cramped conditions, and operations were transferred to other local hospitals. High Royds Hospital finally closed in 2003.

Post-closure, High Royds has been the subject of some of the more extensive efforts to research life in the asylum, including by author Mark Davis and featuring heavily in the 2010 BBC documentary Mental: A History of the Madhouse (possibly the best UK documentary on the subject, I first saw back in 2015). The hospital remained abandoned for a long time after closure, eventually recieving planning permission in 2017 for its redevelopment into a residential area called Chevins Park. Many of the original structures have been retained sympathetically.

If you want to see what the mortuary looked like a decade ago, I suggest you search the many reports on this forum including this one from 2009. It hasn't changed much, although the post-mortem slab table has been removed. Fear not, it's apparently ended up in Wakefield's Mental Health Museum (wanted to go but alas was closed). The below pic came from here and shows what appears to be the table from High Royds in the museum:

asylum-001.jpg

The Explore

In my efforts to document the final traces of the UK's abandoned asylums, I was keen to see this after first discovering it via @KismetJ who saw it on the 28DL Facebook group. He had visited and taken a few phone shots but we knew it needed to be photographed in full. The problem with High Royds is it is a long way from the south of England. After a spontaneous invite to a party in Sheffield, I decided I finally had an excuse to swing by the north of Leeds and see this - not exactly a minor detour but as good a reason as I'd ever get. There we go, the furthest I've travelled for one abandoned building. Somehow, the mortuary has so-far escaped conversion, but it is a building site now so it won't be long. I was nervous as heck getting out the car, not because it was going to be tricky, but because I'd gone so absurdly far to see it. As I strolled through the converted hospital, a man was sitting on a chair infront of his house directly opposite me waiting for a bouncy castle to blow up. I decided to just clamber in and hope for the best, and luckily he raised no eyebrows.

HighRoyds-6.jpg

HighRoyds-5.jpg

HighRoyds-7.jpg

Cadaver Fridge Room

HighRoyds-13.jpg

HighRoyds-11.jpg

HighRoyds-12.jpg

HighRoyds-10.jpg

HighRoyds-8.jpg

Central Post-Mortem Room

HighRoyds-28.jpg

HighRoyds-29.jpg

HighRoyds-27.jpg

HighRoyds-18.jpg

HighRoyds-30.jpg

HighRoyds-17.jpg

HighRoyds-16.jpg

HighRoyds-19.jpg

HighRoyds-20.jpg

Rooms off of the Central Room

HighRoyds-15.jpg

HighRoyds-14.jpg

HighRoyds-22.jpg

Other Rooms at Rear of Building

HighRoyds-23.jpg

HighRoyds-24.jpg

HighRoyds-25.jpg

HighRoyds-4.jpg

Final shot looking over the aslyum

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Definitely the most unusual slab ive seen. I remember the first day we went here. I went with one of the other apprentices from work in his 1l base spec vauxhall corsa. We got up at 2am to make sure we got there before sunrise but still didn't get there until after sunrise and the place was basically a security free walk in anyway. I don't think he enjoyed it much and we were on our way home by 8am. Legendary place tho.

Wastelandr

Regular User
A couple from inside since the conversion.

20230502_165417 (1).jpg

20230502_165551 (1).jpg

20230502_165617.jpg
Lovely shots there thanks for sharing! I wanted to see if I could get into the main building but I bottled it being solo. Did you wander in or was this a permission thing?

Also as much as it is a nice restoration, the hall 'lounge' looks a bit more sparse than how they made it look in their promotional material :rofl

339111550_6160807660677466_5923869759228686726_n.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
Definitely the most unusual slab ive seen. I remember the first day we went here. I went with one of the other apprentices from work in his 1l base spec vauxhall corsa. We got up at 2am to make sure we got there before sunrise but still didn't get there until after sunrise and the place was basically a security free walk in anyway. I don't think he enjoyed it much and we were on our way home by 8am. Legendary place tho.
Love the story cheers for sharing. Those obscenely early hours of the morning adventures are always memorable, if a bit overoptimistic as everyone ends up being too shattered to fully get into it. Still sounds like it was worth it for you even if not for your mate haha.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Quite a spectacular little building. It must have been quite a sight when busy running with clinical duties back in the day.

Who has read this thread (Total: 331) View details