real time web analytics
Report - - Mid Wales Hospital - Talgarth. August 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mid Wales Hospital - Talgarth. August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

latentux

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Mid Wales Hospital is well documented one this forum, and others, so my brief history is care of Wikipedia.

It was built in 1900 and opened in 1903 to serve the populations of Radnorshire and Brecknockshire. and after 1918, started to admit patients from Montgomeryshire as well. It later became the Mid Wales Counties Lunatic Asylum, and took patients from the Cardiff City Mental Hospital before it was requisitioned as a war hospital in 1940.

In 1947 it was returned to civilian use and then became part of the National Health Service who used it for teaching and rehabilitation purposes. With changing attitudes to mental health care, the services provided were gradually reduced and it finally closed in 1999.

Recent reports have said it's rotting fast so a non member and myself decided to visit before it was too late. Parked up in the car park and strolled around to check for access.

We met some day-trippers who had come to see the place, as they had fond memories of it when it was still in use. Some of them were extremely disappointed to see its condition, so.it's just as well they could not see inside.

There was no sign of security but the owner/caretaker? has erected plenty of razor wire and been very generous with the anti-climb paint. But once in we had an uninterrupted and relaxed look around. It certainly is in a poor state. The stone stairways are ok but the upper floors are rotting through everywhere and some exterior walls are collapsed. Loads of asbestos too.

We did not have enough time to stay very long and I'm sure there is a lot we didn't get to see. Hopefully I can get back again before it's too late.

1DSF2555.jpg

There's a nice little chapel on site which is in much better condition than the hospital buildings.​

2DSF2559.jpg

3DSF2557.jpg

4DSF2602.jpg

5DSF2574.jpg

6DSF2558.jpg

7DSF2568.jpg

8DSF2624.jpg

9DSF2590.jpg

10DSF2592.jpg

11DSF2629.jpg

12DSF2625.jpg

13DSF2609.jpg

14DSF2614.jpg

15DSF2610.jpg

16DSF2612.jpg

Unlike all the other buildings, the main entrance block still has most of its slates.
17DSC2631.jpg

While packing the car to leave, a small white van drove slowly across the car park and up to us, but didn't stop and continued on, with a small dog following it. Dog walker or security?

Thanks for looking.

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's awful how bad this place has got now. I don't think I'd wanna step foot in it!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for posting, looks like i"ve waited to long to visit & If it wasn"t for the externals it could be a rotten Derp anywhere in the country (Denbigh) & yet it looks so inviting on Google Earth :(

H....

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for posting, looks like i"ve waited to long to visit & If it wasn"t for the externals it could be a rotten Derp anywhere in the country (Denbigh) & yet it looks so inviting on Google Earth :(

It's not that bad, you can still access the whole site but there are places where you can't get to any more :)

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Interesting to see it again, but yeah...really getting beyond it now. No main hall?

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Fucking hell has someone driven a car through the front foor of admin?! Place needs bulldozing now.. the locals have screwed this place by stopping parts being saved in hope of all of it being kept. Even admin looks like a wreak.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Who'd have thought this place would end up even more ruinous than Denbigh. At least there won't be any fires any time soon.