real time web analytics
Report - - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth, July 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth, July 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
13 hours in the car..
A 5 hour explore..
An asylum.. my favourite kind of place..
Now this is what its all about for me..

After doing a few small explores recently, I was itching for a decent-sized venue and Talgarth was somewhere I'd been planning to go to for quite a while. Visited with my lovely companion for the day, a non-member but who will be reading this..
thank you for a very enjoyable day x

The Mid Wales Asylum is the kind of place where just as you think you've fully explored somewhere, you spot a different corridor, a different building, another staircase, a hole in a wall leading somewhere else... and off you go again :)
It was perfect for me... one of my favourite asylum visits and a fab, albeit tiring way to spend a day.
Some people spend their free time at a pub, some go shopping... me I prefer wandering around abandoned aslylums.

I was relieved to find upon getting home at 2am, that some of the photos actually came out relatively ok considering I had problems in the first half hour with my camera having some kind of dodgy connection and each shot I took on the tripod made the camera "freeze".
The rest of the visit meant not being able to use the tripod at all, but better that than no pictures at all.
*note to self... if in doubt after a previous explore
and camera is dodgy.... get it checked out BEFORE embarking
on a long road trip..*

The Mid Wales Hospital, or formerly known as Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum was designed by Giles, Gough and Trollope. It is an echelon style, founded 1900 and opened its doors in March 1903 by the Rt. Hon. Lord Glanusk who said of it:

"everything has been done that human ingenuity could devise for the happiness
and safety of the inmates, and under the blessing of God, for their speedy restoration to health."

Although the population of the two Welsh counties remained small, by the end of 1925, 455 patients were resident. At its peak and after later additions, the hospital could serve 1000 patients. However, nearer the end of its life, in 1995, this number had dwindled to 168.

Like other contemporary institutions, the asylum was designed to be self-sufficient, and had its own private water, electricity, heating and sewerage systems as well as a considerable agricultural estate.

As well as wards, the hospital had a large hall, kitchens, workshops in which the patients were encouraged to spend their time profitably, a tailor, bakery, shoe-maker and printing shops as well as 8 acres of market gardens.

The hospital hospital closed in 2000 due to a combination of factors
including its relative isolation in the midst of the Brecon Beacons and changes to mental health care in England and Wales.

Externals

8bfb1954.jpg

725843b0.jpg
4d922e84.jpg

248ef1dc.jpg

eb7d4bd6.jpg
60e5abe9.jpg

Two from the Main Hall, which is looking very trashed now.

2448f57a.jpg

ba3e755b.jpg

e41d8f73.jpg

70c34a3c.jpg

I loved this part.. you walk down a corridor then come upon this
87b684f9.jpg

d7309ba0.jpg
3b812d39.jpg

2d2846a6.jpg

51c925d8.jpg
b5ffd6eb.jpg

c35b4aba.jpg
00a806da.jpg

428ae1ae.jpg

36bc4986.jpg

Views from the Clocktower

c75ca326.jpg

998333b3.jpg

(Yes, I noticed i took a lot of that chimney..)
f41dd261.jpg

Final goodbye and off for a bite to eat in the village, before a very long drive back
43d45fc5.jpg

Cat

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details