real time web analytics
Report - - Miller's Café/Canteen (RAE Bedford), Thurleigh, June 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Miller's Café/Canteen (RAE Bedford), Thurleigh, June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Intro
If I had waited a few weeks later this would have been part of my initial report of RAE Bedford but if I'm honest I didn't even know this existed at that time.
I'm not going to dive into the history in this one either as I have already covered it beforehand. Linked below.
I'm also going to note I'm not 100% sure on the name for this building but you'll see where I got it from.

Onwards.

From what I could find this building appears to have been built around 1956 from an image (showing what I assume is to be this building) I found on a document from the Bahg website. It was used mostly for gatherings and social events as well as a dining hall likely falling into disuse around the closure of the main site although perhaps staying in action a little longer. Unfortunately this exact building isn't documented that well so any further info is appreciated.

(https://bahg.org.uk/spare_1.htm Found in volume 1)

The building itself is relatively unassuming from the outside and in fact looks to be used. Once you start peering into the windows things clearly point to a few years disuse, at least. There's a few vehicles about, the grass is cut and a camera pole sits near the main entry. A walk around the perimeter gave us an access point and once in it was eerily quiet even for a normal location there is a hum, echo or something but here was nothing it was rather nice actually. Security did have a nose round the building at one point but it was little worry he clearly didn't care, perhaps we might have been seen outside beforehand?

From the outside.

Once in this hinted to what the building was perhaps called?

Old poster and wallapaper.

A conference room with a little stage.

Moving on a small washing area.

(Yes the editing is a little, shit?, but without doing this everything would have been massively blown out.)

Kitchen.

The first real sign of decay.

A small bar at the end of the hallway.

and the main dining hall.

And one of the many small office spaces.

Anyway that's all folks.

Also, while I'm here is there anyway this can be attached onto my original RAE report or not?

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Wasnt what I was expecting. Its rather clean, and that main canteen shot with the wildness coming through in just one area is a great shot. :thumb

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Wasnt what I was expecting. Its rather clean, and that main canteen shot with the wildness coming through in just one area is a great shot. :thumb
Thanks, I do like that shot myself although I might have to go back when there isn't so much light so it's a bit better.

Who has read this thread (Total: 150) View details