real time web analytics
Report - - RAE Bedford 3x3, 8x8, Canteen - August 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAE Bedford 3x3, 8x8, Canteen - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
RAE Bedford has always been on the bucket list for me. Ever since I saw photos back in 2017 it is one I have always wanted to do but never thought I would ever get there or do it successfully, but we finally managed it in the end! I first tried it back in 2019 but couldn’t find an easy way through the fence, but this time I decided to wing it by entering the site a more obvious way, which to my surprise was successful both times.

Information & History
Royal Aircraft Establishment Bedford was a research site which was in operation between 1946 and 1994. The site was constructed as a base for aircraft experiments and testing. There were two main parts of the site, one being the old airfield site at nearby RAF Thurleigh and the other being RAE Bedford which was sometimes referred to as Twinwoods. It was originally known as The NAE (National Establishment for Aeronautical Research and Development) and was later RAE, then finally changing to the Defence Research Agency in 1991. The site closed in March 1994 but retained some development work under QinetiQ until 2007 when the entire site was sold. The site today consists of a business park and many of the original RAE buildings remain either derelict or repurposed.

The site consisted of five wind tunnels detailed below:

3ft x 3ft Supersonic Wind Tunnel
The 3x3 tunnel was operated for the first time in 1952. It was driven by two very large compressors which had a maximum power input of 12000 Horsepower. The speed of the wind tunnel could reach as much as double the speed of sound. The 3x3 operated up until 1983 when it was deemed surplus to requirements. Aircraft such as the Saunders Roe SR53 were tested with this tunnel.

13ft x 9ft Low Speed Wind Tunnel
The largest diameter wind tunnel was the 13x9, this one was driven by a 31-ft diameter fan driven by a 1500hp electric motor. Thanks to the high-quality airflow, it was renowned as being one of the best low-speed wind tunnels in the world. The top speed was much slower than the 3x3 at 200 MPH. The main purpose of this particular tunnel was to assess the take-off and landing characteristics of aircraft thanks to its moving belt runway. The tunnel is still in use today and is in the ownership of Red Bull Formula 1 racing based on site.

8ft x 8ft Supersonic Wind Tunnel
Construction of the 8x8 tunnel began in 1949 and was first run in 1955. The 8x8 tunnel was one of the most powerful wind tunnels on the site and could achieve speeds of up to 1920 MPH. An 80,000 compressor and electric motor setup rated at 80,000 Horsepower was used here. The 8x8 was used extensively until being surplus to requirements in 2002. The tunnel and compressor were removed in 2002. Within the 8x8 building was a power station which was used specifically to power the compressors/electric motors for each wind tunnel.

3ft x 4ft High Supersonic Speed Wind Tunnel
The most powerful tunnel on site was the 3x4 supersonic unit. This tunnel was able to reach up to five times the speed of sound and the 88,000 HP compressors that were required to drive it required 66 Megawatts of power. The construction of this tunnel can be largely attributed to the success of the Concorde, with significant contributions from RAE Bedford in its development.

The Vertical Spinning Wind Tunnel
In this tunnel, the wind opposed gravitational force vertically, creating a scenario for studying the behavior of a free-falling aircraft model. This design facilitated research into recovery techniques where an aircraft may enter a spin. The top speed in the vertical tunnel was 100 MPH created by a large 8-blade fan, powered by a 1500hp electric motor. This was the least used of all wind tunnels on site and was mainly used as a storage vessel to provide compressed air to the other tunnels. This tunnel was later repurposed as a leisure facility.

The Explore
This report consists of two visits within the same month. The 3x3 I visited solo on a day off, @MIkeymutt and @JakeV50 gave me a pointer on where to park and how to get in, etc and I spent around three hours inside getting pics before heading back. I had no issues and was a relaxed explore.

A couple of weeks later myself, MIkey, and Jake arranged to try the 8x8 hearing that it was open. We drove down and parked on site, explored the 8x8 and the Canteen and then we went back into the 3x3 to get a few more shots (mainly because Mikey wanted to test out his new 8mm lens), we also saw another couple of explorers in there getting pics.

We finished in the 3x3 and captured a few externals before attempting to walk back to the car. As we were walking past the children's soft play business on site we suddenly heard an ‘Excuse me!’, we were pretty close to the car at this point so we kept walking away from the 3x3 but the woman kept trying to get our attention. She asked what we were doing and we said we were interested in the history of the place, she then called security. She thought we had climbed a fence but in fact we got let in by security at the gate, as Jake said in his report that really took the wind out of her sails haha. The security arrived shortly after and he seemed more annoyed that the woman called security than us actually being on the site, it was rather comical. Anyway I am glad we got caught right at the end so it was still successful, we were going to free-roam the site for a bit to see what else we could find but had to leave.

Right, enough waffle! Onto the photos starting off with the 3x3.

ext1.jpg

The main draw for me was the little control room so after entering I headed straight to it (well I say I headed straight to it, even though it was pretty much right in front of me I pretty much did an entire 360 around the building trying to find it, but I got there in the end!). It was definitely a bit worse for wear than I had imagined, pigeon shit everywhere and was a bit dark, but I haven’t seen many of these control rooms in the past so I was still excited:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After spending around half an hour in here I walked through the lovely peely corridors capturing a few pics as I went:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

There were some office and administration rooms down this long corridor, there wasn’t much of interest to see but still worthy of a few shots thanks to the lovely decay:

8.jpg

Moving into some other areas of the 3x3. There were some nice colours/lighting and decay remained lovely throughout:

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I have always said photos never do certain places justice for different reasons. This particular section was so much bigger than I expected it to be, the sheer scale of it is so impressive:

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I really liked this room thanks to the colour and glass skylights:

20.jpg

A few other miscellaneous shots from the 3x3:

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

CONTINUED…

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
8x8 Wind Tunnel

Next up is the 8x8 wind tunnel, history is detailed in the main post. I went in here on the second visit with Mikey and Jake and I was very excited.

1.jpg

The others started taking pics in the main hall whilst I rushed to find the control room up in the corner. I have always wanted to see this and it was more than worth it. It is worth noting that the purpose of this control room was actually for the power station as opposed to controlling the 8x8 wind tunnel itself:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Despite the control room being the star of the show, for me at least, there were a few other bits and pieces to see:

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The second control room was used for the wind tunnel itself, it wasn’t quite as nice in here. The only thing about this control room that I preferred was the actual panels themselves, but don’t get me wrong it was still very nice:

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Near the second control room was a corridor with some empty rooms, the only one worth a photo was a small kitchenette:

17.1.jpg

Moving on to the main hall itself, again the scale of this was very impressive:

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

The large compressor was situated in here before getting removed in ‘02:

fpVbpKkdB90bq_O9bCuhsL8Y23-IycQNNUGY0O6RwLGJmJWPrQ.png

Me and Mikey then braved the latter up to the top of the crane:

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Heading out of the 8x8 I took a quick shot of the vertical wind tunnel:

26.jpg

CONTINUED…

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Canteen

Last up is the canteen. I wasn’t overly bothered about doing this bit but we agreed to head there just for completeness more than anything. I believe KP Urban was the first to post this a few years ago. The canteen was built in the 1950s and was used for gatherings and social events. The building also had a large dining hall and fell into disuse after the closure of the main site.

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_5470-HDR.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

And that’s pretty much it. Overall it is easily in my Top 3 explores of all time and I am so glad I finally managed it. I know this report doesn’t necessarily add to any of the previous reports but I was keen to provide my take on the place given that it is a bit of a UK classic.

Thanks for looking!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
That's a brilliant comprehensive roundup of the site, so many interesting shots there. That overview of the different wind tunnels provides a nice breakdown too. I think this place ended up defining a lot of us' summers, the funny thing is I sat on it for the best part of a year after being given the tip off. I have indeed heard security aren't messing around there now, with help of the local nursery and the cops.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow. Fantastica place and stunning images = brilliant report, Love that image of the single clock on the wall.

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Did it recently got caught by secca shortly after getting into the open building then half a dozen police turned up Got issued with a 12 month community notice 🙄 another group tried a few days ago and didn't even make it to the building secca is a proper little bullshter claiming he seen us there before and we cut the fence fortunately one of the coppers pointed out he had seen the hole there a while back

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Brilliant set of images you've walked out with.

Seem to have a failure for every success with this one. Almost got ran over by some guys in a disco who were driving around the place for hours trying to find us and, a year or so later after a successful visit between, the site manager happened to see us who wasn't happy...

Who has read this thread (Total: 197) View details