real time web analytics
Report - - Moel Fferna slate mine Oct 08 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Moel Fferna slate mine Oct 08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lister

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So the idea was that I met up with Laurel & Hardy a.k.a Snappel & Northcave for an early start (11am:confused:) to do 3 mines in North wales.
I get a text around 11, Were running about half an hour late! No probs
12:30 TXT Sorry, we got a bit lost, be there soon. OK, Don't use the first road up to the mine, i've just got my car stuck there. I thought my clutch had gone at first until I smelt burning rubber & dissapeared in a cloud of white smoke! (1 in 3 & very slippy)
Another hour or so passes, TXT On our way up now, see you soon
Another hour passes!:confused:
Several garbeled calls follow, OK were here, were are you? I'm at the entrance, but you not here! Muffeled conversation follows between the two about the wrong G.P.S cooridinates
So about 6 hours after after our origional meeting time they appeared at the mine out of breath after climing the second hill of the day ( the first one having no mine at all:crazy
We got our gear together & waited for 2 other mine explores to ascend the air shaft before we absailed down into the darkness.

I dident expect this mine to be so big since it only had quite small spoil heaps outside ubt later read that it produced 'slab' which was taken down the tramway via Deeside slab quarry for processing elswhere. The mine operated between 1860's & 1960's

Big thanks to Snappel for the the loan of the climbing gear & great advice:D

The 'Snappel shin catcher'
014.jpg

087.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

041.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg