real time web analytics
Report - - Moel Fferna Slate Mine, Wales - June '18 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Moel Fferna Slate Mine, Wales - June '18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I didn't have any problems coming out after walking around for 6 hours, maybe a ladder is easier to get out with than rope (have never used rope though)

My mate wasn't happy I made him walk from the A5 lol

Last edited:

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i just put those coords in google maps and let it take me there, i come into Wales from Nottingham UK, i do believe it is through the village of Glyn Ceirog, yes :)

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Wow, stunning. Very fellowship of the ring. Would love to see that bridge.

Hmp-Caver

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks rally interesting and one I need to tick of my Welsh slate mine list, though i'm guessing the entrance shaft requires some form of SRT to get down there? i'm shit at rigging, but great at abseiling and prussicking lol

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Looks rally interesting and one I need to tick of my Welsh slate mine list, though i'm guessing the entrance shaft requires some form of SRT to get down there? i'm shit at rigging, but great at abseiling and prussicking lol

I used a sling around the tree over the shaft and hooked up an electron ladder to it. Very easy and the drops only 20ft or so.

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Electron ladders are my enemy haha absolute evil things to use in my experience lol, heard the technique is to go at them sideways on? We used a makeshift metal ladder we found near the shaft but on our second vist we set up a pulley and two rope system as we had a few lasses with us that needed pulling up on a harness :oops:

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Electron ladders are my enemy haha absolute evil things to use in my experience lol, heard the technique is to go at them sideways on? We used a makeshift metal ladder we found near the shaft but on our second vist we set up a pulley and two rope system as we had a few lasses with us that needed pulling up on a harness :oops:

Going up on a ladder is the easy bit. I'm scared of heights but after I have tried it would have no problem going again.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Going up on a ladder is the easy bit. I'm scared of heights but after I have tried it would have no problem going again.

I take this back, I went again on Friday but was still shitting myself going down the ladder! I was by myself which didn't help really.

Anyway some more pics:

31283797757_0c45040e53_k.jpg

46222579801_9d02bc237d_k.jpg

45309753045_21fd60eb24_k.jpg

46172043302_38590b0bb2_k.jpg

46222595991_c110ed61b1_k.jpg

31283818397_009ea38e6e_k.jpg

46222603371_ac601ecfe9_k.jpg

I did drive up this time. Came up from the Glyn Ceiriog side and went back down towards the A5. The Glyn Ceriog side is like an off road course until you get the county boundary where is smooth all the way down the other side! I also got accused of hitting a sheep :rolleyes:

Who has read this thread (Total: 147) View details