Web
Analytics
Report - - Moseley Green Tunnel - Forest of Dean - Aug 14 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Moseley Green Tunnel - Forest of Dean - Aug 14



Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
#1
Visited with a non member​

After a failed walk to the northern portal we made it to the southern, great little tunnel with some nice features​

Some History​

The Severn & Wye Railway was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1809 and opened the following year as a horse-drawn tramway. In 1865, five locomotives were bought and the route was largely converted to broad gauge in 1868-9. Standard gauge arrived in 1872.
That year, a Mineral Loop was added to avoid the need for reversing movements at Cinderford.

The section between New Fancy Colliery and Pillowell Siding incorporated a 503-yard single track tunnel at Moseley Green - masonry lined throughout with substantial masonry portals. It benefited from three ventilation shafts, one of which is now capped.

The tunnel was requisitioned as an ammunition store between April 1942 and December 1943 before completely closing to traffic on 13th March 1951. In the Seventies, a short section of the tunnel near its centre was strengthened with rail and timber bracing to help it withstand the forces from traffic passing on the road above. This has though been recently fire-damaged so its effectiveness might have been somewhat compromised.​

Pics​
Middle air shaft on the way to the southern portal
14804843420_c2568467fc_c.jpg

Southern Portal​
14988411441_12ab4cbfd8_c.jpg


14804841750_133fd48b79_c.jpg


14804958697_1f01a16598_c.jpg


14988407381_2cc13b2947_c.jpg


14988406811_a3d4e8989d_c.jpg

Wooden Tunnel Bracing​
14804807579_0775ba288a_c.jpg


14991135462_a2dec7abff_c.jpg


14804891518_799870d13f_c.jpg


14988404801_dca799a6d9_c.jpg


Northern Portal​
14968504136_c39b4b5852_c.jpg


Thanks for looking​
 
Last edited: