real time web analytics
Report - - Motherload and the near death experience | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Motherload and the near death experience

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Z

Zero

Visited today with loops.

It was my second trip to motherload, the first being a bit of a failure due to the high water levels.

All the drunks and nutters were out today. As we barrier ed up our manhole a old man came over to ask what we were doing. We came him a quick explanation about sewers and blockages and he seemed satisfied and walked off. We were about to go down when we heard a girl shout "what are you doing". I turned around to see a very drunk girl walking along and asking us if we were having a BBQ?. What?. It was very clear her eyes were a bit off due to the drink. "can i have a look". Argghhhh. She came over and asked a bit more about what we were doing. Saying she thought it was a BBQ over 6 times before stumbling off.

Once we were in the clear we headed down and into the deep.

Once we hit the bottom we went to check on the status of the main tunnel, after a brief walk we reached it....Damn. The water was still there and flowing fast to the end. Although not as deep as last time.

I wasn't going to be beaten by this again so we tested the current to see if it was walkable. It was but my god if we knew just how far we had to walk we would have given up there and then.

Thankfully with my new handy dandy chest waders water was no problem for me so i splashed along ahead with no problems although loops had a little trouble. We passed several entry drop shafts which each had two levels, so nowhere near as big as the main one.

A bit further up we came into a small chamber with several pipe holes in a wall with huge piles of sludge everywhere. We climbed over and up the ladder to find another shaft with large pipes running vertically. As time was an issue we headed back to the main pipe and continued up.

It felt like hours past. The sound of the end never changing before we saw it!, a small glimmer of light at the end of tunnel. Just before we got there we spotted a low flying bat to which loops was convinced was a large moth!. :)

At the end of the tunnel the pipe split into three, To the right the pipe headed up large stairs to a manhole and not much else. To the left the pipe stepped up a ledge into a catchment tank and out through the outfall flaps. We didn't look up the front tunnel as we looked around the corner and it just seemed to keep going.

We decided to head outside to see where the river falls into motherload. I had no problem with the water due to being in chest waders, but i fear loops got a little wet but was determined to see it. It was defiantly worth it!. Once outside we climbed up the ladder and stood on the rusted platforms in front of the gates. We took a few pictures before heading back in to take more pictures of the main junction.

The water was a real pain. Due to it being a fast current it moved my tripod making almost all my pictures blurry. We tried a few times before beginning the walk back to our entrance.

After a short walk, aided by the push of the current we decided it would be best to leave the southern end for another day as the tide was already rising and walking back was going to be a problem if it got any higher.

We headed back into the entry shaft and climbed up and out!.

But the fun didn't end there, oh no!. We were driving back on the M4 when the car shook violently and the left side jumped a foot into the air. We veered left and luckily managed to pulled over onto the hard shoulder.

We stepped out to see what the hell had just happened to see all the tred and rubber from my wheel had been ripped off leaving nothing apart from the metal bracing......Not good.

We called the AA and when our friendly breakdown man arrived he looked at the car and his face just dropped. "My god you two were lucky not to have a blow out". There was literally 1mm left of rubber before the tire burst.

We changed to the spare and headed off home. Too much excitement for one day.

Anyways the pictures....

Going Down

IMG_1478.jpg

At The End

IMG_1496.jpg

To the Right

IMG_1493.jpg

To the left

IMG_1486.jpg

Outside

IMG_1484.jpg

Heading back in

IMG_1488.jpg

Main Tunnel

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Back up

IMG_1522.jpg

what remains of my wheel.

IMG_1530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I love that gantry and modern looking works on the frome (?). I think tallginge also covered this one and it looked impressive in his report also.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I love that gantry and modern looking works on the frome (?). I think tallginge also covered this one and it looked impressive in his report also.

It's a fairly modern drain - built in the late 80s/early 90s. The sheer scale of it you'll only ever appreciate when you're down it. It's one not to do without a bit of research on the sluice gates and tide times.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, TG mentioned similar about bristol drains being tidal and so extra caution being needed when compared to draining elsewhere.

Seffy

Staff member
It's a fairly modern drain - built in the late 80s/early 90s. The sheer scale of it you'll only ever appreciate when you're down it. It's one not to do without a bit of research on the sluice gates and tide times.

That. I still feel on edge down here, without fail, as it's such a tidal and sometimes unpredictable system.

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Probably my favourite drain. But not one to explore without a bit of prep work. Unless you just hang about near upper limits.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Definitely, given everything that tallginge has said, and the speed of the tide in Bristol, it's one where caution and planning is best.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Revived thread, but im glad its resurfaced, cracking report & snaps this, very cool :cool::cool:

Who has read this thread (Total: 365) View details