real time web analytics
Report - - N.G.T.E Pyestock - June 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - N.G.T.E Pyestock - June 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ukmayhem

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Randomnut, Wifebeater, Concentration F, Darkzac and non members Jim and Duff man.

Was such a hot day i was dead after about 5 hours everyone ran out of water. Site is massive and so much stuff to look at, so glad i finally got to see most of Pyestock.

History

In 1918 the Royal Aircraft Establishment was built at Pyestock (nr Farnborough) to develop aircraft engine technology. Sir Frank Whittle established Power Jets Ltd nearby to test and develop gas turbines / jet engines. In 1944 (or 1946 - it changes depending on where you read) it was nationalised and became the National Gas Turbine Establishment. The NGTE was one of the leading centres in the world and played a major role in developing jet engines for many years, including the one used in Concorde.

In the 1990s it became the Defence Research Agency and then the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency. The government was reluctant to invest further in the agency and in 2002 it was privatised, with the government creating the company known as Qinetiq. Since privatisation the site has gradually closed down, with only a small portion of the site still being used by Qinetiq and Sigma.

Covering around 108 acres, the site is huge. Tesco want to knock it all down and build a distribution centre. A fantastic piece of Britain's industrial heritage will be lost.

My Pictures

PyestockHDR1.jpg

DSC_3433.jpg

DSC_3435.jpg

DSC_3440.jpg

PyestockHDR5.jpg

DSC_3441.jpg

DSC_3448.jpg

PyestockHDR9.jpg

DSC_3460.jpg

DSC_3488.jpg

PyestockHDR6.jpg