real time web analytics
Report - - Nestle Coffee Factory - Hayes - June 2015 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nestle Coffee Factory - Hayes - June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's excellent stuff! At least someone is out doing proper stuff, rather than wank generic shots for likes etc! Can't beat a bit of industry :)

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Despite you mentioning that its devoid of anything really interesting, it still looks pretty good to me.

The story made me laugh too ;)

asinglecrumpet

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is one of the sites I worked at before and after they were decommissioning it, I'm a geo-environmental engineer so spend most of my time in and around abandoned buildings during the redevelopment process.

I'm a bit late to the party as weirdly my colleague found this post as he was googling something whilst updating a report and I told him I was a member even though I haven't been on here in aeons.

As mentioned the Gurkha security are top notch on this one, this particular client do not like trespassers on any of their sites. Have talked to a few of their dog handlers in the past who have had a few trespass incidents involving a few hundred stitches so I would definitely not want to be on the receiving end of that!

But yeah did particularly enjoy walking around this one as I had seen it active a few months before I had a good insight on what the rooms were used for. Most of the factory equipment had been decommissioned or moved to the new factory before they vacated but there is still a fair amount of the archaic computer and monitoring equipment abandoned there along with a workshop and office equipment.

I wouldn't want to go kicking about in the building too much though as it's of the era where everything is clad in asbestos and now falling to pieces, also everything in the main factory workshop is covered in a lovely mouldy layer of coffee residue, mmmmmmm.

The view from the roof is pretty epic though.

For all those worried, the plan for this one is to keep the factory facade when they re-develop, which is a good thing in my books. There is something quite charming about the Art-Deco design and the building used to be the centre of the community in that area with a war memorial etc.

Anyway I have loads of picture of this site and many others that I have worked at over the years in the UK and Australia, I should probably get on it and do a write up although my stories aren't going to be quite so interesting... showed security my pass... went for a wander on my lunch break :)

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
It would be interesting to see what's in the old canteen building at the front now. That was disused before the rest closed

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Is that keep the facade and demo the rest of the building behind? Always seems pointless IMO.

Oh yeah? Why dat? It allows the best features of the building to be retained, whilst also giving the developer scope to do something that's actually profitable. Other than the facade it's a nice 1930s factory, but it isn't exactly apartment material. It's a game of compromise really.

The problem arises when they're granted planning permission based on the promise that they will retain certain features, knock the rest of it down, and then whinge that without the rest it's not very coherent and before you know it it's all gone.

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Without doing any research because I'm about to cream in, any ideas if this place had power gen? Building with big chimney just a boiler house?

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Nah, there was a boiler house, we didn't have a chance to go in but it was glass fronted and you could see it was just modern boilers inside.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Drilling and guillotineing I would assume! Its a massive factory they have to have maintenance workshops.

Wafster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha...coming from an engineering background i shoulda considered maintainance really