real time web analytics
Report - - NOW GUARDED july 21 - Stanton Ironworks - Ilkeston | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - NOW GUARDED july 21 - Stanton Ironworks - Ilkeston

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jl.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For this explore, I took along my eldest son, and I met up with @FalloutShelter , I had been previously but not seen much. So eager to return, off we went.

We started at the Air raid shelters and made our way round to the mould boring shop, this is where it got interesting.

After finding a way in, having a look around, taking some pics as you do. We was completely un-aware we was being watched on a brand new cctv installation by a man in a container office thingy outside the far end of the building.

3/4 of the way through we noticed a server on the wall, but the wires all disappeared near the ceiling so we presumed it was outside cameras and carried on.

About 2/3 of the way down the factory there is now a huge steel false wall, blocking access to the working crane.

After leaving and making our way over to the next building we was quickly approached by a man in a PAM van, and told to leave the site.

We pretended to leave and continued onwards with our night, skipping the building we intended to go Into next.

After leaving going through 3 other buildings, luckily we were walking through the growth, because PAM van man came flying out from the bushes in his van again. Drove up and down once or twice then left.

We decided to leave and go to some of the outer buildings, which are now very secured with alarms and cameras, the conference room cannot be accessed at all, and the training centre is about to be demolished.

By the end of this year I beleive the site will be completely in-accessible altogether.

Anyway, some history;

The Stanton Ironworks at New Stanton, south of Ilkeston was once the town’s largest manufacturing concern and consequently its biggest employer. The Stanton and Staveley group was later part of the Tubes Division of British Steel Corporation. At its height, the company employed around 12,500 people of which 7,000 worked at the Stanton works.
Evidence has been found that iron production has taken place in this area since Roman times and the remains of medieval bloom furnaces have been uncovered at Stanley Grange near to West Hallam. In 1788, a small blast furnace had been built and operated in the area between Stanton by Dale and Dale Abbey which, although in operation for little more than 15 years, laid the foundations for one of the largest industries in the area. However, the true origins of the Stanton Ironworks go back to 1846 when Chesterfield man, Benjamin Smith and his son Josiah, brought three blast-furnaces into production alongside the banks of the Nutbrook Canal.
Between 1865 and 1867, Benjamin Smith’s original three furnaces were replaced with five new furnaces, this site being later known as the ‘Old Works’. Smith’s furnaces produced about 20 tons of pig iron per day but the company soon experienced financial difficulties and there followed a series of take-overs during the middle of the 19th century.
During this period the business was taken over by the Crompton family. This family owned the company for over eighty years, re-naming the works ‘The Stanton Iron Company’. The Franco-Prussian War of 1870 created a huge demand for iron and the works expanded rapidly with the construction of new furnaces and foundries (the ‘New Works’) alongside the Erewash Canal in the early 1870s. By the early 20th century the business was named ‘The Stanton Ironworks Company Ltd’. The company was eventually taken over by Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd and was merged with the Staveley Iron and Chemical Company Ltd in 1960 to form Stanton and Staveley. The company became part of the British Steel Corporation when Stewarts and Lloyds was nationalised in 1967.
Over the years the company produced a vast range of products. Spun iron pipes, pig iron, pre-stressed concrete pipes, street furniture, lighting columns and cast-iron tunnel segments used in the construction of the London Underground and the Mersey Tunnel. Other by-products included chemicals, coke oven gas, bitumen and road-stone.

sistantonnewworks.jpg

The Old Works Furnaces
During the 1914-1918 war Stanton produced large numbers of shell casings, while during the Second World War both shell and bomb casings, gun barrels, and concrete air-raid shelter components were produced. With its experience in high quality concrete products, Stanton was also involved with the production of experimental concrete torpedo casings. During the Second World War, the Stanton Gate Foundry (known to later generations as the Erewash Foundry) produced 873,500 bomb casings.
The years following the war saw Stanton's fortunes fluctuate while the company was nationalised, privatised and re-nationalised. During the early 1980s Stanton was privatised for the final time and became part of the French Pont-a-Mousson Group and later part of Saint Gobain.
While all the iron making has now gone and the site has been largely cleared and is awaiting redevelopment, some concrete items are still produced.

Now some pics. I will apologize for eing pic heavy, and I really struggled to put them in a good order on my phone lol.

20210724_192109.jpg

20210724_192147.jpg

20210724_191518.jpg

20210724_191327.jpg

20210724_190754.jpg

20210724_190545.jpg

20210725_163411.jpg

20210724_185040.jpg

20210724_181446.jpg

20210724_180738.jpg

20210706_205721.jpg

20210706_205240.jpg

20210706_205554.jpg

20210706_203432.jpg

20210706_203741.jpg

20210706_203801.jpg

20210706_204018.jpg

20210706_202933.jpg

20210706_202344.jpg

20210706_202527.jpg

20210724_190906.jpg

Lastly - us completely oblivious to the fact that we was being watched the whole time

IMG-20210725-WA0000.jpg

FalloutShelter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IMG_1668.jpg

Concrete barriers (?) have replaced the cylinders visible on Google maps... FWIW, the green building in the left third of the photo is supposedly live (we were caught mid-access), although it looks as derelict as the rest of the site.

IMG_1732.jpg

There are some real treats inside the Mould Boring warehouse. This man knew how to keep the doctor away...

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

The Hand Mould Workshop presents a night sky....

IMG_1789.jpg

Probably the only decent feature in the workshop, it's pretty trashed...

Was great fun and definitely the best way to be spending a Saturday night

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 36

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Good to see the update. The big green building I believe is the part attached to the active part of the pipe factory, however that half is very much derelict and has been for years.

I'm guessing the reason for the ugly metal wall halfway down the long building is the other part is now in use for some purpose, one end didn't look entirely 'abandoned' before.

Jl.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see the update. The big green building I believe is the part attached to the active part of the pipe factory, however that half is very much derelict and has been for years.

I'm guessing the reason for the ugly metal wall halfway down the long building is the other part is now in use for some purpose, one end didn't look entirely 'abandoned' before.

I managed to put my arm round the wall and get a picture.

And the big green one is the one we got stopped just inside the door of, rather disappointed coz I've seen some cool pics of inside there. Wanted to have a little climb lol

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I managed to put my arm round the wall and get a picture.

And the big green one is the one we got stopped just inside the door of, rather disappointed coz I've seen some cool pics of inside there. Wanted to have a little climb lol

Yeah that's definitely been cleaned out now!

Jl.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was there a month ago and none of these security measures were in place then.

So either something happened like an injury on site or a fire, or they are getting ready to refurb/use.

urbex4667

28DL Member
28DL Member
IMG_1668.jpg

Concrete barriers (?) have replaced the cylinders visible on Google maps... FWIW, the green building in the left third of the photo is supposedly live (we were caught mid-access), although it looks as derelict as the rest of the site.

IMG_1732.jpg

There are some real treats inside the Mould Boring warehouse. This man knew how to keep the doctor away...

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

The Hand Mould Workshop presents a night sky....

IMG_1789.jpg

Probably the only decent feature in the workshop, it's pretty trashed...

Was great fun and definitely the best way to be spending a Saturday night
Very interesting!! Reminds me of somewhere else but the name has alluded me at present.

Who has read this thread (Total: 282) View details