real time web analytics
Report - - Nuclear Bunker: Region 6 War Room, Reading, Dec 2020 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nuclear Bunker: Region 6 War Room, Reading, Dec 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First report so hopefully I get it right.
I've been urbexing with a few friends in the Hertfordshire area since the start of summer, so I've got plenty of sites I need to post about.
I was so excited to visit the Region 6 War Room that this had to be my first.
Also recently purchased my first camera so I'm hoping to get much better with it in my future posts, once I've caught up.
I visited this month with a couple friends @Swift_monkey . I wont cover entry but nothing was forced.
I'd read of this location from an earlier report referenced below.

History:
The War Room is a two story building (wiki image below) with one level below ground. Built in the 1950's it was one of the 13 regional war rooms built to co-ordinate the strategic response to air raids. In the event of central government became uncontactable it would assume all government control of the area.
It was built to withstand atomic bombs such as those used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The walls are thick concrete and filtration towers line the roof.
With the invention of the Hydrogen bomb the building became obsolete. It never would have had the capability of sustaining a large live-in staff after a nuclear event anyhow.
Later Reading university used the site for storage after planning permission to demolish the site was rejected in 2007 and it became a grade 2 heritage building.​
Region_6_War_Room_1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5118944 https://www.subbrit.org.uk/features/regional-war-rooms/ - (The diagram is not accurate of the Reading site)

The Explore:
The building was incredibly dusty but otherwise quite tidy. Although I'm sure a lot had been done in the bunker since the war, it still came across untouched.
The university seem to have used the site for storage but damp conditions have caused damage to most of the books stored. For that reason the site looks like it's once again abandoned.
Most now have a beautiful mold covering them. Several strong chemicals are also left abandoned.
The basement level was flooded with a couple centimeters of filthy water. Un-prepared we did our best to explore using a couple chairs from an upstairs room. The basement was well cleared out however.

The generator etc.
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

The "Growth" room -
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0827.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG

The records room -
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG

The lab -
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG

The basement -
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG

Last edited:

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First report? Completed it mate! Cracking effort from a cracking location.
Thanks Seffy!
I've been reading reports for a while and made sure to cover the first post guide.
Can't believe how lucky I was to visit such an amazing location. I can only hope to find more sites like this!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really good job, A+ for reading the guide, following format and its paid off. Great 1st report, nice coverage, great location. Showcased well. Kudo & big welcome to 28DL :thumb

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah - that is the problem. Bunkers underground are fine - provided that you can afford the air-con!

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
This place looks amazing, bet it was an awesome explore. Great report.

Skedi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I will make sure to get some more reports up soon!
I'm also really interested in trying to find some more of the War Rooms.
We will see how I get on with that.

Kirbzvids

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I missed the xray photo on my visit there that actuly mentel good see some more photos from. Hear good exploere lads

Who has read this thread (Total: 539) View details