real time web analytics
Report - - Octel Bromine Works Amlwch Anglesey January 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Octel Bromine Works Amlwch Anglesey January 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

fitz44

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Intro

So this is a very reported on site on here from what I've seen, but it's been on my list for a long while but only finally managed to get in due to the fences being pushed down (tried once and bailed because I managed to slip and nearly fall off the edge!!). It's all pretty ransacked and vandalised/smashed up now, which is a shame, and from what I've heard from locals it's very recently been sold to a Cheshire based energy company. So I guess some guards and security will be back up sometime soon?
Anyway I also heard there was a massive fire there a while ago too (while it was in use)
This explore was the beginning of a little Wales road trip for me and my boyfriend in my van before I have to start studying hard again for Uni and so I have another place to report about on here too! :) (down in Pembrokeshire)

History and Information

Bromine is extracted for use in photography, pharmaceuticals, medical research, helping to maintain healthy crops of fruit/veg/cereals, dyes and flame retardants, disinfectants (bleaches), water treatment, production of car tyres, even used as an additive to leaded petrol!
The site on Anglesey was the largest bromine plant of its kind in the world. The warm water of the Gulf Stream is ideal for bromine extraction. Built in 1953, (production beginning 11th November 1953) it was a key part of the Octel programme. Octel was one of the largest producers of transport fuel additives. These were its core business, in lead alkali antiknock compounds for gasoline industry. It produced 10,000 tonnes per annum (increased to 15,000tpa by 1964).
In 1958 a severe storm forced seaweed up the main pumps and blocked sea water distribution for 3 days.
In 1959 they achieved 1,000,000 man hours without a lost time accident, and in 1962 they achieved 5 years without one. Which is impressive considering packaging bromine is in glass bottles, 4 per wood case, containing 33lbs of the stuff!
In 1970 it was believed 2 youths were the cause of a fire on the railway bridge meaning it could no longer be used and alternative methods of transportation had to be used for the bromine works to obtain the needed chemicals for the process.
1995 (15th July) there was a fire which heavily damaged two 30m steel towers and BOT2 (used for producing bromine from seawater). It is said to have cost £6,000,000 in damage and £4,000,000 in lost business.
1997 there was a release of bromine injuring 5 staff and forcing all local residents inside.
In 1999 there was fear of the "Millennium bug" where the change from midnight 1999 to 2000 would cause chaos on all instruments! Therefore the plant was shut down before midnight, 31.12.1999.
On the 1st October 2003 the Great Lakes Chemical Corporation decided to close the Amlwch plant, and it stopped producing in 2004 (March), but the decommission and decontamination takes another 9 months.
In 2007 Canatxx purchase the site and have plans to produce a liquid natural gas storage plant at the site. However in 2007 the BBC posted an article stating terror attack fears over these plans.
From here I'm not really sure of anything else, however there must be more information on the last 12 years or so somewhere?

The Process

Sea water is sucked in and then lifted 50ft into sea water ponds by huge pumps where any debris is removed. It is then passed to the seawater main where chlorine and dilute sulfuric acid are added which releases the bromine. It is literally "blown" out of the water. This water is passed into the top of a tower where it drops over 20ft through the packed section of the tower. There it is met by currents of air travelling upwards. Where it meets these air currents the bromine gets stripped out the water, which is returned to the sea. Whilst the wet bromine laden air passes from the top of the tower to be treated with sulphur dioxide and water. This produces mists of hydrobromic and sulfuric acids. This mist passes into an absorber, and the acid coalesces. From here, it blows to a collecting tank. The bromine free air returns to the blowing out tower and the cycle begins again. The acidic product is referred to as primary acid licker (I think that's what they said?!). This primary acid licker is now pumped to the steaming out tower. It enters the top and is treated with chlorine and steam, which releases the bromine as vapour. It is then condensed to a liquid. The bulk of bromine goes to dibromoethane, whilst the remainder is sold or used to make other intermediates.
It takes about 22,000 tonnes of seawater to produce 1 tonne of bromine. Every minute 300,000 gallons of seawater are drawn in.

Photos!

IMG_7663.JPG

IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

IMG_7698.JPG

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7718.JPG

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7733.JPG

IMG_7739.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7769.JPG

IMG_7776.JPG

IMG_7777.JPG

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate. Really enjoyed this place. Looks like its gone down hill some what now.

cangsue

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I walk here daily with my dog, the site is in ruin from vandelism to theft of copper cable, such a shame.

When the factory was in production I actualy had a day off school due to a Bromine gas leak - random memory.

When I first looked around the site it was pristine, meeting room was set with tea and coffee tray ready for serving, medical area still had bandages etc, model of the site was on display in the foyer, documents stored in order which was strange, it was almost as if they were fully functional and then just during shift thought "naaaaaa this aint working, go home lads"

Few random pics from the site on various visits, I hope the site has been sold as the area needs investment, it has been told that it will be going through this Monday, so if your thinking of travelling to visit it, message me and I'll know if security are present.
Gutted my walking / running ground will be gone, least there hasnt been a massive fire there yet to ruin it all.

20181125_155907.jpg

20181118_124743.jpg

20181118_123342.jpg

20181116_165122.jpg

20180530_164355.jpg

20180530_170235.jpg

20180530_170200.jpg

20180530_171402.jpg

20181116_163304.jpg

20180530_171433.jpg

20180530_171421.jpg

20180530_170238.jpg

20181116_163717.jpg

20181116_163327.jpg

20180530_164531.jpg

fitz44

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Update: went back today and there was a guy in hi-vis with a clipboard! Looks like whatever sale to that cheshire energy company is going down! May be security there in the future!

cangsue

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was awesome at first, their firestation on site was in tact, several extinguishers, GTS suits hung up, Stores still all organised.
Need another good site....

cangsue

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Update: went back today and there was a guy in hi-vis with a clipboard! Looks like whatever sale to that cheshire energy company is going down! May be security there in the future!

The chap in hi vis was acting as a contractor, but it was just a copper thief, tried to ask why I was on site, I said I had no intrest in his Business and mind his own.

Potatohead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Intro

So this is a very reported on site on here from what I've seen, but it's been on my list for a long while but only finally managed to get in due to the fences being pushed down (tried once and bailed because I managed to slip and nearly fall off the edge!!). It's all pretty ransacked and vandalised/smashed up now, which is a shame, and from what I've heard from locals it's very recently been sold to a Cheshire based energy company. So I guess some guards and security will be back up sometime soon?
Anyway I also heard there was a massive fire there a while ago too (while it was in use)
This explore was the beginning of a little Wales road trip for me and my boyfriend in my van before I have to start studying hard again for Uni and so I have another place to report about on here too! :) (down in Pembrokeshire)

History and Information

Bromine is extracted for use in photography, pharmaceuticals, medical research, helping to maintain healthy crops of fruit/veg/cereals, dyes and flame retardants, disinfectants (bleaches), water treatment, production of car tyres, even used as an additive to leaded petrol!
The site on Anglesey was the largest bromine plant of its kind in the world. The warm water of the Gulf Stream is ideal for bromine extraction. Built in 1953, (production beginning 11th November 1953) it was a key part of the Octel programme. Octel was one of the largest producers of transport fuel additives. These were its core business, in lead alkali antiknock compounds for gasoline industry. It produced 10,000 tonnes per annum (increased to 15,000tpa by 1964).
In 1958 a severe storm forced seaweed up the main pumps and blocked sea water distribution for 3 days.
In 1959 they achieved 1,000,000 man hours without a lost time accident, and in 1962 they achieved 5 years without one. Which is impressive considering packaging bromine is in glass bottles, 4 per wood case, containing 33lbs of the stuff!
In 1970 it was believed 2 youths were the cause of a fire on the railway bridge meaning it could no longer be used and alternative methods of transportation had to be used for the bromine works to obtain the needed chemicals for the process.
1995 (15th July) there was a fire which heavily damaged two 30m steel towers and BOT2 (used for producing bromine from seawater). It is said to have cost £6,000,000 in damage and £4,000,000 in lost business.
1997 there was a release of bromine injuring 5 staff and forcing all local residents inside.
In 1999 there was fear of the "Millennium bug" where the change from midnight 1999 to 2000 would cause chaos on all instruments! Therefore the plant was shut down before midnight, 31.12.1999.
On the 1st October 2003 the Great Lakes Chemical Corporation decided to close the Amlwch plant, and it stopped producing in 2004 (March), but the decommission and decontamination takes another 9 months.
In 2007 Canatxx purchase the site and have plans to produce a liquid natural gas storage plant at the site. However in 2007 the BBC posted an article stating terror attack fears over these plans.
From here I'm not really sure of anything else, however there must be more information on the last 12 years or so somewhere?

The Process

Sea water is sucked in and then lifted 50ft into sea water ponds by huge pumps where any debris is removed. It is then passed to the seawater main where chlorine and dilute sulfuric acid are added which releases the bromine. It is literally "blown" out of the water. This water is passed into the top of a tower where it drops over 20ft through the packed section of the tower. There it is met by currents of air travelling upwards. Where it meets these air currents the bromine gets stripped out the water, which is returned to the sea. Whilst the wet bromine laden air passes from the top of the tower to be treated with sulphur dioxide and water. This produces mists of hydrobromic and sulfuric acids. This mist passes into an absorber, and the acid coalesces. From here, it blows to a collecting tank. The bromine free air returns to the blowing out tower and the cycle begins again. The acidic product is referred to as primary acid licker (I think that's what they said?!). This primary acid licker is now pumped to the steaming out tower. It enters the top and is treated with chlorine and steam, which releases the bromine as vapour. It is then condensed to a liquid. The bulk of bromine goes to dibromoethane, whilst the remainder is sold or used to make other intermediates.
It takes about 22,000 tonnes of seawater to produce 1 tonne of bromine. Every minute 300,000 gallons of seawater are drawn in.

Photos!

IMG_7663.JPG

IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

IMG_7698.JPG

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7718.JPG

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7733.JPG

IMG_7739.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7769.JPG

IMG_7776.JPG

IMG_7777.JPG

Potatohead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Intro

History and Information

The Process

Photos!

IMG_7663.JPG

IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

IMG_7698.JPG

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG