real time web analytics
Report - - Ospedale Al Mare, Venice, Italy - December 2011 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ospedale Al Mare, Venice, Italy - December 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
First things first, this is slightly picture heavy (32) with a couple of historical photos thrown in as well. Hopefully it won't cause too much disruption, and I've scaled down quality settings so shouldn't take too long to load.

Ospedale Al Mare (Hospital of the sea) was built in 1933 on the Venetian island of Lido, and over the years expanded to the capacity of 1500 patients and staff. During the 1970s condition of the hospital deteriorated, and ward closures began.

The final nail came on 2nd October 2003, when the majority of what remained closed in favour of a new super hospital built at Mestre on the mainland. Local police and fire departments set in to remove the 15 protestors that had launched a campaign to try and save the hospital, and it has laid empty since.

The hospital site is now owned by Est Capital, who have slowly been buying up delapitated and historic public buildings in the city to renovate. A few local residents have started a new campaign to attempt to get the onsite theatre restored and used as an arts centre, although that too is lacking wide support.

The interior of the different departments lies in various states of decay, with quite a lot of equipment, records, samples and all sorts dotted around. Much more than I had anticipated there to be considering it's been closed for 8 years. Spent just over 5 hours looking around, but there's still more buildings which escaped my attention, which I'll be back for once I'm prepared to cough up for the expensive Venice boat prices again. Although I think it's relatively good condition is partly down to it being on an island and not so easy to pikey.

A big thanks to Italian cigar-totting explorers Pietro and Stefano for meeting up and taking me along.

Photos from 1933 just after the hospital opened its' doors.

old1.jpg

The opening of the hospital brought on visits by royalty, and Mussolini.

old2.jpg

And how it sits today.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Pathology department.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Radiology department.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Pediatrics.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Misc equipment and files.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Morgue.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Kitchens.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Trauma.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Mini swimming pool. Physiotherapy department perhaps.

26.jpg

Operating theatre (we think)

27.jpg

continued in next post. (sorry)