real time web analytics
Report - - Padiham Air raid Shelter, October 2020 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Padiham Air raid Shelter, October 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
The shelter was built in 1938 Archie Sullivan, Harry Riley and George Helm in an E shape from steel girders and concrete slabs, The shelter was used by the School on the park grounds directly in front and also by the Congregation of The Nazareth unitarian chapel just on the edge of memorial park where the shelter resides. Becoming derelict after the war it remained unsecured in the park and frequented by local kids for a place to hang out it became a dumping ground for all manner of litter and debris. In 2010 The council gated the Shelter as they had found a colony of Brown long eared bats. 1 year later they went back and cleaned out the shelter then cemented up all the emergency hatches.

EXPLORE
So this was on my list as far back as i can remember, Although its not a massive shelter it still has a lot of history within the small town and there are still relics of sorts to be seen. Having a friend in the parks department and him having keys i was allowed inside for a few hours to document it. Still in great condition the shelter doesn't seem to have suffered from any kind of water damage and despite its years of neglect is still very sound structurally speaking barring a bit of rust on the steel supports. A nice little shelter really although i was a little disappointed there was no original graffiti

pad-5.jpg

pad-10.jpg

pad-9.jpg

pad-6.jpg

pad-13.jpg

pad-14.jpg

pad-15.jpg

pad-4.jpg