real time web analytics
Report - - Par China Clay Dries, Cornwall - March 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Par China Clay Dries, Cornwall - March 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
The History

Given the geology of the south west, this part of the country has given rise to numerous clay manufacturers over the past three centuries. It was found that the natural clay deposits around St. Austell were some of the largest in the world. The demand for china clay peaked in the nineteenth century with Cornish china being exported far and wide across the world. The clay would have first been quarried at mines like those visible across Cornwall's landscape, and then processed at facilities like these - which judging by the more modern structures here was of later origin in the 20th century. A much better and more precisley-detailed report on here shows the different structures roles in the clay manufacture process, so I'll leave you to find that for the specifics. Apologies if I've gotten any of the specifics wrong as I'm no clay drying expert. This particular clay drying works functioned up until recently, providing that the china industry in Cornwall was as long-standing as it was significant. As with all great British industries, as they grow they eventually must decline, and the facility ultimatley closed down by 2007/2008.

The Explore

On a bit of a holiday with the boys down to Cornwall, our primary objective was to consume as much local produce, intoxicants, and views of the coast and moors as possible. However, I couldn't possibly make the long drive down to Cornwall without seeing at least one off the grid sight. So, I figured it might make a change to check out this place rather than the usual military or underground stuff which often ends up happening in the UK. It appeared to be a large industrial ruin without much needed in the way of planning required - maybe too good to be true I wondered. Thankfully, I was proved wrong, and after some perimeter-scouting we were inside and out of view of the sunset beach-goers uncomfortably close. At first we were cautious but it soon seemed that nobody was around despite it bordering an active industrial complex. We didn't make it into the huge shed although I think this was pretty empty inside anyway. I couldn't tell if this site had been partially cleared out since people's other reports, as I couldn't see as much machinery about. However, I think some of this may have been atop the large hoppers inside the two main warehouses and unfortunatley it seemed all the ladders up to the rooms and machinery had been cut down, so we were somewhat limited in what we could see. However, it made for some nice photographs of something a bit unusual and it was a nice casual explore which is sometimes convenient for fitting amongst larger trips. Sometimes the best urbex shots are the ones that make you think 'wtf is that' - perhaps a modern form of surrealism :thumb . All in all this place was certainly worth seeing for the scale and subject matter even if there was a lot we had either missed or were unable to reach.

These Buell dryers were of more modern technology than the fiter presses, first introduced in 1944. They would have spun the clay during drying, letting out a lot of dust in the process.

This control panel made for a real treat.

Underside of a filter press drying system - first introduced around 1911

I can only assume this central piped building was added to try and ventilate the horrifically dusty warehouses during operation

Can anyone tell me - where does a radiation risk come from in china manufacturing? Wondered if its from the minerals.

These two 'wet scrubbers', one for each warehouse, reduced dust emissions by suspending clay particles in steam from the drying process, releasing a slurry which could then be pressed

5PR1NK5

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cool site and excellent photos and write up! :D Agree with Mikey, don't think I've ever done anything in Cornwall?

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Cool site and excellent photos and write up! :D Agree with Mikey, don't think I've ever done anything in Cornwall?
Cheers for this appreciate it ;) I couldnt find a whole lot else down there but must be more

5PR1NK5

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Funny enough I just reverse image searched a nice church in Dorset and the first image was a report on here, hense how I saw your reply! :lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 355) View details