real time web analytics
Report - - Peenemunde Airfield, June 2010 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Peenemunde Airfield, June 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

finder759

28DL Member
28DL Member
I decided it was worth the 8 Euros as the airfield is still in use, partially as a flying club, go kart track, sight seeing trips of the area in an autogyro and by the police for tactical driving and as a firearms range. Given the above, I decided that wandering across it on my own was not the best idea….
Enquiries about the tour can be made at the airfield, I think it runs twice a day and basically you get into a minibus with a guide who drives you around. His knowledge was excellent and he took the time to explain everything twice-once in German as that’s what most of the tourists are and again in English for my benefit.
Looking out towards Griefswalder Oie where there were telemetry stations for the rocket test launches.
IMG_9069.jpg

Looking up the ramp of one of the V1 launch sites.
IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

A hardened hangar from the NVA period.
IMG_9082.jpg

The lake between the airfield and the museum, there are the remains of a Lancaster still in it apparently.
IMG_9068.jpg

Unfortunately the tour is a drive round while talking, so there wasn’t much opportunity for photos. That said it did provide an excellent recce for places to explore further…..
Parachute Packing Building
Once done with the tour, I found a nice place to park up so I could trek to the parachute packing building near the airfield that we’d passed in the tour bus. This was a bit of a trek through the woods but this in itself was an eye opener. Looks like the NVA just bulldozed equipment into the woods off the taxiways!
IMG_9158.jpg

Flooded bomb crater.
IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

Whole load of kit just buried in old bomb crater-lots of finds like this.
IMG_9166.jpg

Presumably from the high grade stainless steel this is off an aircraft – could it be an ammo box? If anybody can identify it-it would be appreciated..
IMG_9167.jpg

This is actually a partially buried jet engine!!
IMG_9169.jpg

The parachute hanging tower.
IMG_9170.jpg

Vehicle maintenance ramps.
IMG_9172.jpg

In the attic.
IMG_9177.jpg

The view up the tower.
IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9189.jpg

Toilet and shower areas.
IMG_9190.jpg

The main packing hall.
IMG_9193.jpg

Old posters on liferafts.
IMG_9198.jpg

All the hot water for heating was piped to the building from a central power station, this is the point of entry.
IMG_9199.jpg

Main entrance door from the roadway.
IMG_9202.jpg

Inside one of the offices.
IMG_9200.jpg

View from the airfield side.
IMG_9206.jpg

Overgrown taxiways.
IMG_9209.jpg

Some heavy duty lids, but couldn’t find the hole they originally covered.
IMG_9210.jpg

Camouflage netting, fuel hoses and sand mats.
IMG_9211.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details