real time web analytics
Report - - Pine End Works , Lydney Harbour, July 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pine End Works , Lydney Harbour, July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mobutu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with conormizen_98

Since this is my first post and one of very few UE sites I have done and that I'm just a teenager trying out a new hobby please forgive me for the quality of some of the photos,captions etc.

Pine End has been covered by a number of reports on this forum, the earliest I could find dating back to 2009. Despite this I felt that the site had changed enough since recent posts and was a good starting point for a young explorer

Here's a bit of history (borrowed)

Constructed by the Government in 1940, it was built to produce technical aircraft and marine plywood for wartime requirements. It was known as a "shadow factory", meaning it was built in secrecy so that goods vital to the war effort could continue to be made without such a high risk of bombing. To preserve secrecy it was known as "Factories Direction Ltd",then it was taken over by two of the countries largest timber producers, William Mallison and Sons Ltd. and Gliksten Plywood Limited. It then name was changed to "Mallison-Denny (Lydney) Limited".

During the war it was used to produce wooden aircraft panels for the Mosquito fighter-bomber and the Horsa assault gliders used in the D Day landings. In the 80s three inch thick rubber and grit surfaced plywood made at Pine End was used in a refubishment of Tower Bridge. It also supplied plywood to the Admiralty, the MoD, British Rail, vehicle manufacturers and boat builders. Something known as "Hydroboard" was produced at Pine End as well. It was a "chemically impregnated densified and compressed plywood" used in nuclear shielding in power stations. In its last years it became part of the Brooke-Bond Group of Companies, operating under the name "Lydney Products".

QDLqmUv.jpg

IZtH6Sm.jpg

sMmJVyY.jpg

CoRFSRo.jpg

iT1rn7I.jpg

qfLm5zh.jpg

ueGzb8G.jpg

1lpFdL0.jpg

Nj76LV7.jpg

Rh9c59Q.jpg

xgIJxvg.jpg

U43VxL1.jpg

I would highly recommend this site as there's a lot more to see than is shown in the few pictures I had to sum up the visit

Thanks for viewing :)