real time web analytics
Report - - Pinner Quarry Rossendale | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pinner Quarry Rossendale

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A nothern stone mine that was worked from 1841 - 1929, methods used here was hillside outcropping and mining which involved removing the bad quality shaley top layer of rock to acces the better quality below.

The stone sourced here was used as building stone, flags and engine beds.

In the 80's the mine was used as an unofficial dumping ground, likely by the local council. This seemed to be common practice around this time in mines all over the country and the signs of this can still be seen with big piles of rubbish next to infilled adits.

The crane here is one of the main reasons I wanted to visit as its one of the few remaining of its kind that's not perished and the winding mechanism surprisingly still turns smoothly, it looks like it's been looked after with recent oil on its bearings I'm thinking a local caving club might have taken this upon themselves. Finding this hidden gem was also surprisingly tricky as the mine itself isn't that extensive.

DSC09243.jpg
Heavy rain and warm temperatures starting the day off with annoying lens fog
DSC09240.jpg

DSC09214.jpg

Someone decided in 2020 red spray paint of there initials would look good, 3 years later can confirm it doesn't
DSC09217.jpg

Was very surprised to see the winding mechanism works smoothly
DSC09216.jpg

DSC09208.jpg

Some good ol delamination
DSC09210.jpg

DSC09242.jpg

Found an old miners pipe unfortunately in 2 pieces, come across a few of these over the years
DSC09231.jpg

DSC09233.jpg

One of the 8 adits
DSC09234.jpg

DSC09207.jpg

DSC09237.jpg

DSC09224.jpg

DSC09226.jpg

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice bit of underground action.
not sure which Pinner I did up there but the entrances were litter strewn hell holes so I didnt go far in

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Been some right collapses in here over the years, place gives me the heebie-jeebies lol

Some decent snaps mate :thumb

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mmm nice hanging death ona stick.

Reminds me of Bathstone workings.

Cracking set of snaps love the light trails of mine explorers in action.