real time web analytics
Report - - Pyramiden, Svalbard - May 2013 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pyramiden, Svalbard - May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

750XL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Firstly, I'm not an Urbex'er myself (although I'm an avid reader of this site) but thought this report may be of interest to some people here. Please forgive the image quality, all taken on point and shoot or iPhone.

Last year I was lucky enough to embark on a trip of a lifetime to Svalbard, a small group of islands located high in the Arctic Circle and home to the worlds most northerly town, Longyearbyen, located at 78 degrees north.

Location of Svalbard
arctic2.jpg

During our stay in Longyearbyen we planned to visit Pyramiden, an abandoned Russian mining village, bit of info here:

Pyramiden (meaning "the pyramid" in most Scandinavian languages; called Пирамида, Piramida, in Russian) is a Russian settlement and coal mining community on the archipelago of Svalbard, Norway. Founded by Sweden in 1910 and sold to the Soviet Union in 1927, Pyramiden was closed in 1998 and has since remained largely abandoned with most of its infrastructure and buildings still in place.

The only way to reach Pyramiden is by snowmobile, roughly a 6-7 hour ride from Longyearbyen through the vast open glaciers, valleys, mountains and frozen fjords of Svalbard, certainly not easy! The threat of polar bears is very real on Svalbard, there's more of them there than humans, so a rifle is required at all times outside the boundary of Longyearbyen. Without further ado, he's there pics

The unique stucture on the main path into Pyramiden
00480image_zps9bd713ce.jpg

Old fuel tanks?
00481image_zps9a7e133d.jpg

Main area at the foot of the old coal mine
00485image_zpsa4d4242c.jpg

Abandoned crane and buildings
00486image_zps4e19760b.jpg

The old community centre, home to swimming pool, gym, theatre etc
00494image_zps3aed654d.jpg

The old living quarters for the mining staff, and families
00496image_zps902610ce.jpg

View from the community centre into the main part of the village
00498image_zpsd5a47417.jpg

Foot of the mine entrance
00500image_zps38701c61.jpg

Inside the old swimming baths
00506image_zps4337f2e2.jpg

Wooden walkways connecting various buildings to the mine entrance
00507image_zpsdd07e26e.jpg

Inside the old swimming baths
00510image_zps72c8379b.jpg

That's all I'm afraid, all other pictures are of even worse quality :D

Pyramiden is a fascinating yet highly depressing place, I can't imagine ever living there being so remote in the vast and harsh wilderness of Svalbard. I'd highly recommend a trip to Svalbard and specifically Pyramiden for those of you who love exploring. I only spent about an hour in Pyramiden, although I wish we had taken a tent (and a few dogs to guard against the bears) so we could've explored the town a bit more during our trip there given the 24/7 sunlight.

Thanks for reading and apologies if I've broken any forum rules.

PS - here's the reason you need a rifle on Svalbard! Pictured on our return to Longyearbyen

00542image_zps60078226.jpg

00545image_zps4cae3fd1.jpg

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Hell yeah my dude, this place is one of the GOAT. Loved the pics as well.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Nice, I was looking at this place a little while back. The power plant interests me, did you venture over that way by any chance?