real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Bempton 01-11-2007 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Bempton 01-11-2007

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
Visited last night with my brother, 3 of his friends, Dempsey and Little Mike.

Background:
RAF Bempton is an (underground) Rotor R1 Radar Station (Subbrit says its an R3 on its page but on the Subbrit tour page it says its an R1. it is an R1 as its single level)

Copy and paste bit (from DBS's website (that also has a map):
R.A.F. Bempton started life in February 1940 as R.A.F. Flamborough Head, but later that year was re-named Bempton. It was a GCI station for the remainder of the war years, disbanding on 1st August 1945.
It then had a brief spell as an Air Ministry Experimental Station Type 31 until 1st November 1945 when the station was shut down. It was then allocated to the Northern Signals Area (90 Group) and placed on a care and maintenance basis.
On 1st June 1949, the station was declared operational again as a CHL/CHEL station. On 17th February 1950 it was transferred to Fighter Command, with whom on 1st November 1951, it was re-named as 146 Signals Unit Bempton.

146 Signals Unit disbanded on 1st December 1961, and the station was re-named R.A.F. Bempton. It soldiered on as such until 1st April 1964 when it was disbanded.Bempton was then reduced to a domestic satellite station of R.A.F. Patrington.
It remained as such until April 1972, when there was no further requirement for the quarters. It was then reduced to redundant station status. Bempton was finally disposed of, some time in 1980/81.

Now I need to get to RAF Holmpton to get the taste of what it should look like when operational!

onto the pictures:

main corridor:
CIMG2407.jpg

Looking down into the Operation room 'well'/'pit' containing the remnants of the Kelvin and Hughes Photographic Display Unit / General Situation Map
(note i dont actually have a funny hair do it was the straps from my mask (asbestos down there))
CIMG2405.jpg

Toilets:
CIMG2406.jpg

The only remaining toilet:
I have a red filter for my fenix, but it acts very much as a spot light with it on. so i put whipped up a red LED torch that was used in this shot (and many others)
CIMG2392.jpg

Here's the rest of my pictures, but Dempsey & Little Mike have pictures that blow these away! was great to have you guys there.

Last edited:
P

peterblake

Re: RAF Bempton-Report 01-11-2007

Visited last night with my brother, 3 of his friends, Dempsey and Little Mike.

Background:
RAF Bempton is an (underground) Rotor R1 Radar Station (Subbrit says its an R3 on its page but on the Subbrit tour page it says its an R1. it is an R1 as its single level)

Copy and paste bit (from DBS's website (that also has a map):

Now I need to get to RAF Holmpton to get the taste of what it should look like when operational!

onto the pictures:

main corridor:
CIMG2407.jpg

Looking down into the Operation room 'well'/'pit' containing the remnants of the Kelvin and Hughes Photographic Display Unit / General Situation Map
(note i dont actually have a funny hair do it was the straps from my mask (asbestos down there))
CIMG2405.jpg

Toilets:
CIMG2406.jpg

The only remaining toilet:
I have a red filter for my fenix, but it acts very much as a spot light with it on. so i put whipped up a red LED torch that was used in this shot (and many others)
CIMG2392.jpg

Here's the rest of my pictures, but Dempsey & Little Mike have pictures that blow these away! was great to have you guys there.
RAF BEMPTON was always a satellite station for RAF Holmpton - The bunker was built 1951/2 and it was used until 1962/3 when it was then shut down. The bunker was in fact sold off shortly afterwards and the accommodation camp sold later. The site is actually an R2 and here are the specs for those who don't know them.

R1 (Small single level Rotor bunker - radar)
R2 (Small single level Rotor bunker with a projection pit in the ops room - radar)
R3 (Large Rotor GCI Bunker with two levels - radar)
R4 (3 level reporting centre - no radar).

The R4's were all out of use by 1955/6 and there were very few of them built as
some were adapted sites from earlier uses).

The R1's & 2's were basically disused by the late 60's.

The R3's were mostly disused by the 70's with just a few retained by the 80's.

There were other versions:
R3M (Just 3 built in Europe)
R3M2 (Only built at RAF Holmpton)
R6 (Surface Buildings)
R12 (Surface Buildings)
R14 (Bunker Extensions planned for RAF Holmpton & RAF Bawburgh)

There are a variety of others but mostly just tags for surface modifications.

4 of the R3's were also modified in the 1980's at Ash (Sold) Buchan (Still RAF)
Boulmer (Still RAF) & Neatishead (Closed but still RAF and due to be sold off).

The various bunkers range from between 12,000 - 35,000sq ft internally.

Hope that all helps.
Peter Blake
RAF Holmpton.