real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Coltishall, Norfolk - August 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Coltishall, Norfolk - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
I’ve been here a couple of times now with @JakeV50 but wanted to return because, like some other places, I have never covered the site with the camera, and wanted to get better shots and coverage of the base. This recent visit was with @JakeV50 and @Wastelandr.

Quick Facts & Stats
  • Operated between 1940 & 2006
  • No. Resident Aircraft throughout its life: 20
  • No. Station Commanders throughout its life: 39
  • No. Squadrons throughout its life: 79
  • The base had 1600 service personnel in 2005

Information & History
Royal Air Force Coltishall is a former RAF base which opened in June 1940. Originally, the base was known as Scottow Aerodrome and was designed to be a bomber station. The name was later altered to RAF Coltishall. It was commonplace to name RAF bases after the nearest railway station but the nearest station to RAF Coltishall was Buxton. It is thought there would’ve been too much confusion with the Derbyshire town of the same name. The base was originally planned to be constructed in Lawford, Essex, but due to additional electric cabling costs Coltishall was chosen instead.

Originally, six hangars were to be built but only four were completed, with the fifth being destroyed during construction. Part of the land was designated for three grass runways. Later, the main runway was rebuilt with asphalt and had a length of 7500 ft.

A proposed ariel layout of RAF Coltishall from 1938, including the six originally planned hangars:

B2RN5bvQItn6qImN-WxuabvsIzMm_aApI-ZvPSzPq0hKh1XiGk.png

Source: heritage.norfolk.gov.uk

The first aircraft movement at the base was the Bristol Blenheim IV L783. Several famous pilots were based at Coltishall including Douglas Badar and John Cunningham. Badar was the leader of the No. 242 Squadron which was based at Coltishall from June 1940. The 242 was made up primarily of Canadian pilots and flew in many roles during World War 1 and 2, in addition to the Cold War. Later in August 1940, an enemy bomber attacked Hangar No. 3 killing three local men. A few satellite airfields to Coltishall were opened during World War II. These included one at Matlaske and Ludham, in addition to two decoy sites which were located at Beeston St Lawrence and Suffield.

Once World War II ended, the site was briefly handed over to the Free Polish Air Force up until 1947. The Cold War was also an important time for RAF Coltishall where it was used as a V-bomber dispersal airfield. V bombers would fly to and from the base with the delivery of British nuclear deterrent. Various Squadrons were based here over the Cold War period, and the last were the Jaguar squadrons. The Jaguars moved into Coltishall in 1975 with Squadron 6, followed by 54 and 226 OCU. There were several others after this. After the Cold War, the Jaguars were then deployed to Turkey and Italy. Similar missions continued into the early 2000s until 2006. In 2005, the base employed approximately 1600 service personnel, with 1400 of those being dependents and the remaining 200 civilians.

When the base finally closed in November 2006, the gates were opened to the public for a final tour and a flypast by four RAF Jaguars. RAF Coltishall was then handed to the Defence Estates which handled the disposal of the site. Norfolk County Council purchased the site for £4m. The base almost closed much earlier than this in 1992 due to defence budget cuts but it was saved.

Today, the site is primarily used as a business park where many of the original RAF buildings have been repurposed as industrial units. There is also a prison on site. Some areas of the site remain disused and this report covers some of those buildings.

The Explore
The first time I came here it felt a bit nerve-wracking as there is usually quite a lot of action going on here with there being lots of industrial units and an active prison on site. You quickly realise it is a lot more chilled out than you first anticipate. Access comes and goes for a lot of the buildings on site and we were fairly lucky this time round. We started off with the Seagents Mess, moving onto the Swimming Pool and then the Jet Tester whilst looking at a few other bits and pieces in between. There are plenty of other buildings on site to see, and some of these have been covered previously by others. We spent about 45 minutes in the anteroom in the Seargents mess as it started chucking it down with rain so we just sat there and had a chat for a bit, when the rain stopped we got some external shots and then headed to the pool. Our feet were soaked after walking through the grass. We got some quick snaps in the pool and then headed towards the runway to take a look at the outdoor Jet Tester. There were some cameras there and looks like it is in use now so we didn’t spend too long there. I also found a lovely old boiler house on site but unfortunately, it is well sealed, I did have a peep in through the door though and it looks great.

Anyway, enough waffle about the explore and moaning about soggy feet, let's start with some shots of the Seargents Mess:

Main Enterance.jpg

Below was the anteroom close to the main entrance as seen above. Many old RAF buildings like this had a room of this type and were typically situated close to the dining hall. It features a nice fireplace and fancy ceiling lights. It would have been used as both a waiting area and function hall with tables, chairs and a TV set in its later years.

Fireplace Room 0.jpg

Fireplace Room 1.jpg

A bit of decay creeping in:

Fireplace Room 2.jpg

Moving on to the main dining hall. It is a little blue for my liking but you can’t please everyone:

Dining Hall 1.jpg

The main corridors are vast in this building and are looking pretty worse for wear now:

Corridor 1.jpg

Corridor 3.jpg

The kitchen area is vast and pretty stripped, but still worthy of a few shots:

Kitchen 1.jpg

Kitchen 2.jpg

More nice decay:

Kitchen 3.jpg

The main bar area is looking quite grubby now:

Bar 1.jpg

Bar 2.jpg

Near the main entrance, there is a small set of stairs which lead to an underground section with original paintings on the wall of points of interest around the world. A small door in there then leads to an escape hatch:

Underground 1.jpg

A room with a couple of small safes:

Safes.jpg

The building also housed accommodation for the service men and women, as you would imagine much of these rooms are very samey:

A1.jpg

Some of the rooms played it fairly safe in terms of colour, and most of them varied, my favourite was the purple room:

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

There are several communal toilets and showers:

Showers.jpg

An extension of the Sergeants Mess was later built in 1979 comprising of more accommodation, unfortunately this wasn’t accessible this time, I did manage to dig out a few old phone shots of the interior from 2022 though, I would imagine it hasn’t changed much:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Original stickers which were nice to see, no goon stickers in sight!

4.jpg

A simple passageway linking the original mess to the extension, constructed primarily of brick with a corrugated roof:

5.jpg

The extension from the outside:

Mess Ext.jpg

CONTINUED...

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Located a short distance away from the Seagents Mess is the swimming pool. The pool was constructed in the mid-1960s with the design being a simple and cheap affair. The pool is not tiled and has rubberized flooring, and the roof is made of fiberglass. It feels very much like a large greenhouse. The building itself features a couple of other rooms including changing rooms, and a plant room amongst a couple others. The pool is thought to have been funded by the RAF Central Fund, in addition to the Nuffield Trust and the Service Institute Fund.

Pool External.jpg

Pool 1.jpg

Pool 2.jpg

Pool 3.jpg

Pool 4.jpg

Small plant room:

Plant 1.jpg

The changing rooms have been stripped of some of its toilet/shower cubicles since my last visit in 2022 which I thought was odd.

Changing Room.jpg

Entrance & Reception:

Swim Rec.jpg

Swim Rec 2.jpg

Near to the pool is the old decontamination centre. The main bleaching room was later converted into a well hidden operations control room. This was inaccessible on our visit but after reading the notice on the door it looks like it has been repurposed and is in use again:

Decon.jpg

As we headed to the jet tester, we came across a lovely boiler house that I mentioned earlier. The purpose of this was to provide Hangar 3’s high-level radiant panels with hot water. It looks like a mini industrial haven inside with four Allen Ygnis high-pressure steam heating boilers and associated pumps. Flues were connected to these which carried fumes out of the external brick chimney stack. Directly next to this is the Oil Store but the tanks have since been removed.

Boiler House.jpg

The Engine Test House was designed and constructed in 1974 and features a control cabin, exhaust silencer system, engine test stand, and fire suppression systems. Much of the construction is made of steel. This structure is now used for storage and is well-sealed.

Engine Test House 1.jpg

Engine Test House 2.jpg

Moving onto the Engine Test Facility. This exhaust detuner unit was developed by IAC Aviation and was used to test aircraft engines. The idea of having an external arrangement like this one was so an aircraft could simply back up to the detuner so that the engines could be tested without the need for them to be removed from the aircraft. Cold air is drawn in from the top while the exhaust efflux is taken in by the collector. It is then drawn into a stack pointing upwards.

It looks like this may well be in use again as there were some things being stored here in addition to some new CCTV cameras being put up. With that in mind, we quickly grabbed a few handheld shots and left shortly after so the pics inside the testing chamber itself aren’t the best.

Jet Tester 1.jpg

Jet Tester 2.jpg

Jet Tester 3.jpg

Inside the test chamber:

Jet tester 4.jpg

Jet Tester 5.jpg

Jet Tester 6.jpg

These little runway lights are a nice detail:

Lights.jpg

Hangar 2 with the main RAF Coltishall sign:

Sign.jpg

Finishing off with a quick external of the control tower. This is fairly stripped, and looks like work is now being done to it with a new camera up top so we didn’t approach it this time:

Control Tower.jpg

That’s pretty much it. We covered quite a few of the main parts of the site but due to the nature of the location, it is difficult to cover it all. There’s loads more stuff here but a lot of it has been converted or has been well sealed. There are also a couple of nice little pump houses on-site in addition to an amazing backup room with a huge diesel engine inside, so maybe I’ll return in the future to look at more bits and pieces but for now, I am happy with what I have seen. I would have liked to have done the Officers Mess aswell but for anyone wondering this is now in use again and is being used for accommodation and has been in use for the last four years or so now.

Further Reading
For those interested in learning more about the base I found this resource on the Norfolk Heritage Explorer website which has loads of detail and also contains some nice old photos and drawings etc. The most comprehensive report on this site I believe is Mikeymutt’s post back in 2018, definitely worth a read if you are interested in seeing some other bits.

Thanks for looking.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good you managed to sort some photos of when we done the accommodation block. I was wondering if that was gonna be included. I'll never forget the cobwebs on the top floor.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done mate. It’s a great site and have spent many hours trawling over this place. Definitely still a few bits to uncover though. This place was my first report on 28. At least you get my easy way into the site Ha ha.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good you managed to sort some photos of when we done the accommodation block. I was wondering if that was gonna be included. I'll never forget the cobwebs on the top floor.
Yeah, they weren't the best but wanted to include them for completeness, the deciding factor of including them was mainly because of the phone on the wall and the old stickers.

That test chamber is fab.
It's certainly something a bit different and quite cool, it's worth visiting for that alone I'd say!

Nicely done mate. It’s a great site and have spent many hours trawling over this place. Definitely still a few bits to uncover though. This place was my first report on 28. At least you get my easy way into the site Ha ha.
Strange with the outside tester with stuff around it. The indoor one was nice too, when I took jake they had chucked tons of wood in which is a shame.
Yeah, there's plenty more to take a look at, you could easily spend an entire day there discovering different bits, as I can imagine you've probably tried every building haha. I should have mentioned you in the report as I don't think I'd have ever done it without your original instructions as the Coltishall site always confused me!

Top notch reportage, a very nice overview of the airfield and very well shot. Really enjoyed the day out :D
Cheers mate, it was a good one and we certainly had a lot more luck here than what we did at that bloody hospital :rofl

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very nice this. Some of my favourite things there. Decay, peel, og paintings on walls and of course a chimney. Those test chambers are really photogenic. Enjoyed this whole report. Kudo :thumb

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nice this. Some of my favourite things there. Decay, peel, og paintings on walls and of course a chimney. Those test chambers are really photogenic. Enjoyed this whole report. Kudo :thumb
Thanks Jane, yeah it certainly has a lot of appeal in different ways. I'm glad you enjoyed the report and write up!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Glad the tower is still up. Some nice bits still left.
Plenty to see for sure. Not sure what will happen with the tower now that work is being done with it.

That's in pretty good condition considering.

All I can think of is this though...

1694693881470.jpeg
Haha I remember that whole ordeal, didn't it get cancelled in the end? :rofl

What a fantastic report !
Loads of info, super crisp shots.
Love the windo with all the original stickers.
Thanks! The original stickers were nice to see in an otherwise fairly stripped building.

Who has read this thread (Total: 166) View details