Web
Analytics
Report - - RAF North Luffenham Rutland July 2011 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF North Luffenham Rutland July 2011



Carl747

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
One of the Back logs woops

Visited with DHL this is a live fire range and is 100 percent used as you can tell from the new buildings and brand new cratters
RAF North Luffenham was a Royal Air Force station in Rutland, England, 1940 - 1998.

The station was built as a training airfield, opening in 1940. It was later taken over by 5 Group of RAF Bomber Command as a heavy bomber base, and was expanded by the building of concrete runways later in the war. In 1951, the station was transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force to become the temporary home of 1 Fighter Wing, the first Canadian NATO base in Europe. 1 Wing moved to Marville, France in 1955.

From 1959 to 1963, North Luffenham was home to PGM-17 Thor intermediate range ballistic missiles.

In mid-1964 No.3 Ground Radio Servicing Squadron was transferred from RAF Norton, Sheffield, Yorkshire. No. 3GRSS was responsible for the third-line maintenance repair of all ground radar and radio communication/navigational and landing aids located at airfields throughout Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A unit of the RAF School of Aviation Medicine was also established in early 1960s - a very large then state-of-the-art decompression chamber was installed at this facility for aircrew experimentation and research purposes.

From 1965 to 1997 part of the Joint Services Language School was based here. Russian-language graduates of the school were employed at radio monitoring stations located close to the USSR border in order to monitor Russian air-to-ground radio voice traffic during airborne interception/ border incursion etc. A plaque to commemorate the Language School was unveiled in 2005 by Air Commodore Bruce Benstead, the last Station Commander at RAF North Luffenham.Recruits from RAF Swinderby competed their fieldcraft training at this base in the 80s and early 90s.

The station was taken over by the British Army and renamed St George's Barracks. As an army base it has been home to battalions of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and the King's Own Royal Border Regiment, (later 3rd Battalion, the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment). In August 2007, 16th Regiment Royal Artillery relocated here from the Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich.

PICT1842.jpg

PICT1837.jpg

PICT1840.jpg

PICT1846.jpg

PICT1848.jpg

PICT1850.jpg

PICT1852.jpg

PICT1858.jpg

PICT1853.jpg
PICT1863.jpg

PICT1856.jpg

PICT1872.jpg

PICT1879.jpg

PICT1884.jpg

PICT1891.jpg

PICT1901.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads