real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Wellingore Lincs - 16/2/08 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Wellingore Lincs - 16/2/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

L

lightening51gxx

A bit of ban planning on my behalf meant I got to the area, and realised Id not brought my map or satellite pics with me. So I parked in the village and set of in the general direction of where I thought the airfield was. I asked a couple out walking there dogs if they knew of any disused RAF building in the area, but they were blissfully unaware.
Anyway I spotted a Pill box through my binos, and set of in the general direction. It wasn't long till I spotted this tell tale sign;)

a.jpg

And on the crest of a nearby hill - Battle HQ

b.jpg

The hatchway on the first 'level' was a bit of a drop

d.jpg

Inside was fairly well empty

c.jpg

From the top It was easy to spot some other structures on the main airfield site.

f.jpg

These well fortified positions where accessed by the doorways at the rear

h.jpg

In the middle of the doors was a shelter

j.jpg

k.jpg

With an exit each end leading to the overgrown gun positions

l.jpg

Gun positions viewed from outside

g-1.jpg

Not sure if this is the original grass runway, but it looked in very good condition (obviously mowed)

m.jpg

The site was protected to the north by a network of Pill boxes

e.jpg

Combined with the fortified positions, this looks as if it was one well protected airfield. Both Douglas Bader and Guy Gibson served here during the war.

There are supposedly some more buildings in the woodland to the west, but there seemed to be a lot of activity in the area, so I left well alone.
If you are visiting the site, Wellingore Hall, in the nearby village, is worth a quick look (from the road that is - its occupied) as it used to be the Officers Mess. And it was used to interigate and house German POWs

Pete