real time web analytics
RIP Downfallen. | Downfallen | Page 15 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

RIP Downfallen.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

taylor

28DL Member
28DL Member
not been on this site for a while and saw this, r.i.p downfallen. always a good read in his posts with fantastic pictures aswell. :(

WelshWizard

28DL Member
28DL Member
Never met the guy but I was always in pure awe of his posts on here! A true legend. Such a shame to see him go.

O

old_friend

I went to boarding school with Downfallen. We were dorm mates and good friends.

A few days ago I received a text from another old schoolmate, telling me the terrible news about Downfallen’s accident on 21st Dec 09. I was and still am shocked and saddened.

I did a little searching and came up with a couple of sites that he used to post on, so I hope you don’t mind me posting here to share some fond memories of a truly lovely guy.

Even when we were at school together, Downfallen had a zest for life and a keen sense of adventure. Looking back, I suppose the seeds of his BASE jumping and urban exploration career were already there. He would climb a tree, come down and then climb it again using a different route. He loved to climb the school building both inside and outside.

I remember we had a small parcel shelf about 10 feet up on top of a thin corridor down one end of the school. The only way you could get to it was to wedge your feet against one wall, your hands against the other and slowly shimmy up, like climbing inside a chimney stack.

The corridor was painted in that dull thick grey industrial paint, and the floor was stone, polished clean by the tramping of past and present pupils. I remember many times on a wintery Saturday night I would be walking down the corridor and Downfallen’s voice would call down to me. He had just been hiding up there, waiting for someone to walk by so he could see their reaction when he shouted to them through the cold December air.

He loved aircraft and at the time had wanted to become a fighter pilot. We would talk and he would marvel at how it might one day feel to be high above the Earth, doing something, living his dreams and a life that few other humans are capable of. The military used to fly over the school during their training flights, and Downfallen had a keen ear. He could tell you just by listening to the engine note what kind of aircraft was approaching.

I can remember him wanting to jump out of the dining room window on the first floor one day. I thought he was mad, as you would need to jump out a fair way to clear the trees at the bottom but he wanted to do it just to prove it could be done. I said that he didn’t have any protective equipment, but he just smiled and asked to borrow my school scarf, wrapping mine around one ankle and his around the other as a makeshift brace.

He edged out onto the windowsill, looked down briefly, smiled at me and made the jump. He cleared the trees, but landed awkwardly and limped for a few days with a mildly sprained ankle.

Naturally, the school Principal found out and cornered us all to ask what had happened.

Quick as a flash, Downfallen said “It was a sponsored jump for charity Miss.â€

“Which charity?†the Principal asked.

“Save the Children, Miss!†Downfallen replied.

Needless to say the Principal did not believe him and was not amused.

However, neither his injury nor the obligatory detention slowed him down and he was soon back to climbing anything he could and plotting his next prank.

He may never have flown a fast jet, but he certainly succeeded in doing something, living his dreams and a life few other humans are capable of.

Downfallen old friend, words can not express how sorely missed you will be.

S

skylover

He loved aircraft and at the time had wanted to become a fighter pilot. We would talk and he would marvel at how it might one day feel to be high above the Earth, doing something, living his dreams and a life that few other humans are capable of. The military used to fly over the school during their training flights, and Downfallen had a keen ear. He could tell you just by listening to the engine note what kind of aircraft was approaching.

He may never have flown a fast jet, but he certainly succeeded in doing something, living his dreams and a life few other humans are capable of.

I feel compelled to add that the reason he did not achieve his dream of being a jet pilot was that due to restrictions in the cockpit to do with ejection seats, he was physically unable to be a pilot jet, his femur was too long and if he had been in a situation where he had to eject, he would have had his legs removed by the action of ejecting from the seat.

I have no doubt that without this restriction that he would have been a fighter pilot as he had dreamed.

W

widemove

i'm shocked ! never knew the guy but loved his pics. RIP legend

nickg

Silent Assassin
28DL Full Member
I have just viewed DownFallen's reports and I must say he was an unbelievable explorer and photographer. His work has blown me away....

M

Mastermind08

After a while not been here, I sadly read this - I've never knew him, but loved his photos.

RIP Downfallen you'll be missed

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

MM08

djflava

Doped up on Thorozine
28DL Full Member
This is shocking news , thoughts go out to the family and anyone who knew him

R.I.P