real time web analytics
Information - - Rochester toilets | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Rochester toilets

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urbex2p

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well here is my first attempt to post a report and I think I found a gem
This is the toilets under Rochester bridge . there’s toilets were closed in 1971 and left ,
They have been stripped of all stalls and urinals and wash basins however the windows are open and give a lovely view of the river all the original tiles still remain and are looking really nice and clean .
I’m not going to rattle on for ever about the history of this place as it’s all available on line under Rochester bridge toilets.
Entry is easy if a little “on view” but that just adds to the fun , just a few pics sorry about the quality as I taken with my phone never thought anyone would be interested

06619FF3-1753-4F10-A3CB-C893735354FA.jpeg

ED3AC17C-8DF0-4F53-B698-23C2C780C745.jpeg

932EA7F6-6161-411C-8ED7-DF8DBB55DB36.jpeg

7A6F3B71-0DDC-4E30-A78C-27069898D7CB.jpeg

9BE8649F-C0F7-4040-B66E-75492B03B8AE.jpeg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great, a shame it's been stripped of its wares but I like these spaces a lot. As you say good that at least the glazed bricks remain.

I've got a list of possible surviving one's all over the UK to look at one day.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
There are some underground toilets like these in Oxford city centre, been closed off for years because the entrance stairs are situated on a small island in the middle of what is pretty much a four lane road - there was a recent application to develop them into a bit of unique airbnb-style accomodation which unsurprisingly was refused on grounds of accessibility.

Urbex2p

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great, a shame it's been stripped of its wares but I like these spaces a lot. As you say good that at least the glazed bricks remain.

I've got a list of possible surviving one's all over the UK to look at one day.
If you have these toilets on your list you better hurry as the council are planning on filling them up with concrete this year

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
Theyve started work on these now. Kept meaning to check it out but effort exceeded reward.

20190601_163130.jpg

Urbex2p

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Theyve started work on these now. Kept meaning to check it out but effort exceeded reward.

20190601_163130.jpg
I jumped the fence Sunday and was swiftly jumped on by three burley builders that came from nowhere
They informed me there was a 7.5 meter hole to repair the wall that is leaking due to a very large crack in the wall allowing the tide to flush out under the esplanade leaving a hollow underneath
Did manage to take a look at the entrance to the toilets and it is welded shut
The builders also told me that they were filling the toilets with concrete next week or the week after so they will be gone but not forgotten
I did hear that the toilets were going to be filled last September
Thanks for your input
Follow me on instagram to find out where I am going and what I am up to now

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
I jumped the fence Sunday and was swiftly jumped on by three burley builders that came from nowhere
They informed me there was a 7.5 meter hole to repair the wall that is leaking due to a very large crack in the wall allowing the tide to flush out under the esplanade leaving a hollow underneath
Did manage to take a look at the entrance to the toilets and it is welded shut
The builders also told me that they were filling the toilets with concrete next week or the week after so they will be gone but not forgotten
I did hear that the toilets were going to be filled last September
Thanks for your input
Follow me on instagram to find out where I am going and what I am up to now

Thought you would have been good on a Sunday! Wont be Medways biggest loss. Dont know if I understood the tide maps incorrectly but apparently the River is only around 4ft deep under the bridge at low tide. Would explain the stupidly fast currents

Urbex2p

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thought you would have been good on a Sunday! Wont be Medways biggest loss. Dont know if I understood the tide maps incorrectly but apparently the River is only around 4ft deep under the bridge at low tide. Would explain the stupidly fast currents
Think the river is shallower on the Rochester side than the Strood side and that is why the last section of the bridge from r to s was once a swing / lift up bridge to allow tall ships to pass up stream and back down there is still evedance of this on the last pillar of the bridge that stands in the river

Who has read this thread (Total: 263) View details