real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Court Theatre, Wigan - May 2018 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Court Theatre, Wigan - May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
May 2018

The Visit
While taking a trip down memory lane and browsing through my old photographs, I stumbled upon the ones I took at the Royal Court Theatre in Wigan. Surprisingly, I realised that I had never shared these photos before. I visited this Theatre with @coolboyslim on a delightful summer evening, after spending the entire day exploring various locations in Greater Manchester. Although some time has passed since that day, my recollection of it is a bit hazy. However, I do remember spending a few hours wandering through the seemingly endless corridors and rooms of this magnificent building. It was fascinating to see that many of the original features still remained, with very few modifications made during its time as a bingo hall and later a nightclub. Having had a quick search of the forum, I've not been able to find any other reports from this place, so I thought it was a good idea to stick some of the photos up. Whilst researching the history of the Theatre, it appears that the structure has been saved by a local community group who intend to reopen the building for live performances once again, which I'm sure you'll all agree is a really positive outcome when so many similar buildings have been lost in recent years.

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court5.jpg

[1]​

The History
In 1886, the Royal Court Theatre emerged as a stunning addition to the Victorian landscape of Wigan. Designed by the talented architect Richard T. Johnson, who also revamped the Theatre Royal and Empire Theatres, this playhouse quickly garnered a reputation as one of the most captivating venues in the provinces. The Wigan Observer, in an article published on November 20th, 1886, praised the remarkable improvement in the town's theater scene. They noted that the Eagle room, once a significant location for assembly balls and somber dramas, had now been surpassed by the elegant new Theatre on King Street. The town was witnessing a gradual progression in theater construction, from wooden structures to the diminutive Theatre Royal, culminating in the grandeur of the Royal Court Theatre.

As Wigan's town center buzzed with eager theater-goers seeking respite from their toilsome lives, the Royal Court Theatre became a cherished sanctuary of entertainment. It not only garnered loyal support but also attracted established stars and up-and-coming talents, solidifying Wigan's status as a must-visit destination. The theater frequently hosted packed nights, with audiences numbering up to 3000. Just imagine the palpable excitement and anticipation as the curtains rose, transporting the impressionable spectators away from the sooty chimneys and monotonous routines, and into a world fueled by imagination.

The Theatre, which had a price tag of £18,000 (equivalent to nearly £2 million today), was described in an article that highlighted its simplicity, solidity, and utility. The façade, constructed with "Ruabon" bricks and terracotta, showcased the harmonious blend of these materials, which were believed to be the future of building materials. The article emphasized that the true beauty of the Theatre lies within, just like the inner qualities of a king's daughter. It admitted that words alone could not do justice in describing the intricate details of the Theatre's interior; a personal visit was the only way to truly appreciate its grandeur. The Royal Court Theatre continued to thrive as a hub of live entertainment until 1930, when the introduction of projection equipment marked the dominance of the silver screen. Despite this shift, the Theatre managed to host one final live show that year, a musical called "Mr Cinders" featuring the talented Leslie Hatson in the lead role. However, no further advertisements for live performances could be found after that.

In 1930, the Theatre underwent significant renovations by the esteemed architects Grey and Evans from Liverpool. The proscenium was relocated, allowing for an increased seating capacity in the stalls. The upper circle and dress circle were also extensively modified using the innovative cantilever system for support. Additionally, the stage boxes were removed, and the auditorium's exits were revised once again. To enhance the musical experience, a splendid Compton Cinema Organ was installed, rising from a newly constructed "orchestra pit." For several years, a back projection system was utilized until a dedicated projection room was built at the back of the upper circle around 1950. The Theatre reopened in December 1930 under the name Court Cinema.

The Royal Court Theatre has undergone various transformations throughout its history. Initially, it served as a popular entertainment venue until it was converted into a cinema in 1974. However, its cinematic era was short-lived as it later became a bingo hall, undergoing significant changes such as the closure of the upper circle and the addition of a false ceiling to conceal the dome. After its stint as a bingo hall, a portion of the space was transformed into a bar called 'The Hub' in 2012. Unfortunately, this venture did not thrive and the establishment was repossessed by bailiffs in May 2016, leaving the building vacant and devoid of activity. However, in a delightful turn of events, the Theatre's fortunes changed in the spring of 2018. An esteemed arts group in the town, known as The Old Courts, announced their plans to restore the Theatre to its former glory and bring it back to its original purpose. The Old Courts, a non-profit organization, acquired the Theatre through an auction in March 2018, receiving widespread acclaim from the townspeople and esteemed organizations like The Theatre Trust.

Despite the challenges posed by the Coronavirus Pandemic in November 2020, restoration work on the Theatre commenced. The nightclub fittings in the stalls area were cleared, and the screens concealing the circle were removed, along with the false wall that had obscured the upper circle. This revealed both areas for the first time in half a century, allowing their beauty to be appreciated once again. By March 2021, the remaining 1930s seats had been removed for refurbishment, and scaffolding was erected on the exterior of the building. Soon, a specially commissioned artwork would adorn the wrapped exterior, adding a touch of artistic flair. Additionally, repairs to the roof and external structure were underway, ensuring the Theatre's longevity. Furthermore, a comprehensive 3D laser scan of the building had been completed for archival and development purposes, preserving its historical significance. The Royal Court Theatre's journey from a place of entertainment to a cinema, bingo hall, and eventually a bar, has now come full circle. Thanks to the dedication and vision of The Old Courts and the support of the community, this iconic venue will once again take center stage, ready to captivate audiences with its theatrical magic.

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court6.jpg

[2]

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court9.jpg

[3]

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court8.jpg

[4]

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court1.jpg

[5]

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court3.jpg

[6]

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court2.jpg

[7]

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court4.jpg

[8]

GRONK_Wigan_Royal_Court10.jpg

[9]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Canon EOS 70D, 10-18mm EFS​

Last edited:

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Holy crap the memories. Completely forgot this one myself. Great fun exploring we had in there. Watching everyone getting drunk in all the pubs. Bloody fun one this. Great pics and great night.