real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Hospital Haslar, Gosport, 2014-2017 (pic heavy) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Hospital Haslar, Gosport, 2014-2017 (pic heavy)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
Haslar - my most favourite of favourite of all explores, and without question, the only nice thing in Gosport. My biggest regret about this place is that I didn't manage to get in to it sooner. This place is huge. There is a particular MRI scanner somewhere in here that I encountered the first time I went in. I have been back about 10 times since and I still cannot find it! As most of my reports are "ok here are the photos bye" I'm aiming to make this one a little different. Anyway...

History

Haslar was built between 1745 and 1761, and served the injured men who would come in to Portsmouth from the various wars.

Such was the urgency to admit patients to the Royal Hospital Haslar that an order was given by the Board of the Admiralty for 100 patients to be admitted on the 10th October 1753 and with no record of an opening ceremony the hospital was commissioned.

During the 18th/19th century even the attics served as wards especially when Sir John Moore's Army returned decimated by disease from Corunna when the hospital patient numbers would have well exceeded 1,000.

By the turn of the 20th century there were some 58 large wards at Haslar each taking 14 patients. At the time the wards were two to a floor with a connecting door within each hospital block. The wards underwent modernisation and the central wall was altered and the wards opened to the full size seen today.

Many of the original wards served as Day Surgery, Theatres, out-patients and offices and in some areas the original ward design can still be seen.

Dr James Lind played a major part in discovering a cure for scurvy, not least through his pioneering use of a double blind methodology with Vitamin C supplements (limes). In the 1940's Haslar set up the country's first blood bank.

The first and last Navy hospital; Haslar was closed in 2009. Nice one modern government wankers.

(Random history) In 2000 a woman was murdered by her husband in an empty corridor here. The field at the back is a mass grave. Indeed, Xexxa's very own 4x great grandfather is buried at Haslar. A skeleton with coins in its eyes was also found here http://www.haslarheritagegroup.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=140

Future

Haslar and its 62 acre grounds were sold for £3m (mental, right?) to Our Enterprise. There is outline planning permission for the redevelopment of endless amounts of flats and care homes... the usual crap (but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't like to live there just so I can infiltrate the rest at ease) the budget is £100m and 7 years has been given to complete the works. However, Haslar popped up on a governement website for people seeking investors, where it was asking for £152m. This has caused some confusion. The developers are saying it is an error, but it could also signify that they don't have the cash to complete.

Planning a visit

If you haven't been to Haslar (or even if you have) before you should go soon, as time is running out. Security here are a mix of 50% nicest secca ever and 50% "I'm a horrible bastard because I failed as a copper" Usually, I have run ins with the latter. If they are arsey its just nice to give them the run around. Keep them on their toes

Pictures

Main Building

23YbzCNl.jpg

hMjMjdRl.jpg

M9aphHal.jpg

Operating theatre gauges

9BpdTnJl.jpg

A peely corridor in 2014

d1tNMpfl.jpg

and again in 2017

EGG9Uyvl.jpg

cBPNVC5l.jpg

The centrifuge has now gone (god knows where)

vFGE7HKl.jpg

7HnzdCml.jpg

ll2xRhV.jpg

One of the wards in about 2014

SmF4NiI.jpg

FRkEogT.jpg

2017 - things are more stripped

Gdq1HAQl.jpg

9Cw9O2Bl.jpg

Operating theatre

BhoT9X6.jpg

The hydroptherapy pool hasnt changed much at all

o5OGagfl.jpg

M3izkqw.jpg

Skywalk

As you can see, it is almost demolished. Sadly annoying as this housed the eye unit (I think) and was one of my favourite parts.

vai4MpAl.jpg

EzhpLz8l.jpg

A sad before and after of this old X-ray machine

Vy7UkOXl.jpg
FlZ7ZmSl.jpg

Stairs

Haslar has some very interesting staircases. By far the most popular is the oval staircase, which was built in the 1960s (I hope this remains in the new building)

I regret not getting a full frame camera

CVWBd25l.jpg

n554R0dl.jpg

yawdkE8l.jpg

G65QSKUl.jpg

O1IDg6Jl.jpg

Last edited:

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
Coasters Café

yEra82Al.jpg

lq2nlYtl.jpg

The nurses rooms are being stripped now

NskbaHzl.jpg

Snooker Room

Despite being left for 8 years. The snooker table is immaculate

JZSyIdTl.jpg

Basement

Not much to say here, used to be a shortcut through the hospital for nurses. Was used in the war as bomb shelters and operating theatres. The paintings on the walls are from the 60s when staff would hold little parties here (I believe)

i9mcnsql.jpg

1UAZPoVl.jpg

1VzC3GRl.jpg

nQipWRLl.jpg

ATqHTTsl.jpg

kPqM3mrl.jpg

e4MOlXjl.jpg

Organs

Two preserved human organs remain here. They tend to be found by one explorer and then moved somewhere else, a bit like a fucked up hide and seek. One is liver cirrhosis and the other is ulcerative colitis

3E94JHWl.jpg

jPZh5Rrl.jpg

7quOIr4l.jpg

Outbuildings

Incinerator

W8r7hSUl.jpg

Chapel of rest / Morgue

LyVPYehl.jpg

The Zymotic buildings are all much the same internally

4Spj28el.jpg

7jpTrv5l.jpg

8CSwLagl.jpg

YGG4xV6l.jpg

Y1zVq7Ql.jpg

Psychiatric Ward

There was a rumour that the padded cell had been stripped out. Wrong.

WwJM9NFl.jpg

Fa7KVzQl.jpg

fJFCUThl.jpg

sMNFNGyl.jpg

NFBswvMl.jpg

Thank you for looking!

KassBaker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These pictures excite me, great read.
Did you even manage to get through all of it? Looks like a monster of a building.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Nice mate, I noticed cctv on the fence by the sea last time we was there, I don't recall seeing that before, could be wrong though.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
I see the cell is well on its way to a West Park level of fuckedness now. Cunts

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Wideangle or fisheye lens would sort your issues out with that staircase shot..nice report though !

Selina-Paris Nicholson

28DL Member
28DL Member
Mu other half and I would really like to go here, ive only managed Frazer Range so far but would love to photograph here if anyone fancies a visit???

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I enjoyed reading that. Somewhere I've always wanted to visit but I've never made the journey.