real time web analytics
Saffron Brook culvert - July 2012 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Saffron Brook culvert - July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I’d never thought about putting waders on before, but I saw a couple of reports of culverts on here a few weeks ago and thought “I’m sure there’s a little one of those just up the road that might be worth a lookâ€. So I bought some cheap waders and then waited for the water level to go down a bit. Photos aren’t that good and I didn’t think it would be worth a report, but I got a couple of surprises when I reached the outfall.

Saffron Brook flows under Aylestone Road and the OS map on Bing shows it going through the British Gas site and into a tunnel before joining the River Soar at St Mary’s Mill Lock.

1.jpg

Looking back at Aylestone Road bridge. The first 200 yards flows through a wooded area with an 8 foot wall on either side. The bottom was brick once but is very rocky and uneven now and the water was about 2 feet deep so I got this far before I felt brave enough to get my camera out. (Nooby wuss!)

2.jpg

Looking towards the first bend.

3.jpg

Just before the first bend and the water is just about at the top of my (cheap hip) waders so I make an undignified clamber onto the side for the next 50 yards.

4.jpg

When I got back in the water was only 6 inches deep. Round the bend it turns into a concrete channel.

5.jpg

…and round the next bend is more concrete…

6.jpg

…and then a concrete tunnel.

7.jpg

This was the best I got with a Maglite. Think I want one of those P7s.

8.jpg

Obligatory silhouette.

9.jpg

Looking back into the tunnel.

10.jpg

When I came round the last bend I was surprised to see this bloke fishing, but not half as surprised as he was when I got near to him and said hello! :D

The real surprise was that I was about 200 yards further downstream than I thought and right next to this.

11.jpg

A fun couple of hours and I’ll definitely be putting waders on again.

Thanks for looking.