real time web analytics
Report - - Worsley Brook (Old Worsley) - Manchester - 09/07/23 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Worsley Brook (Old Worsley) - Manchester - 09/07/23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
Old Worsley
Explored/Photographed with @Ojay and @MartyZero

To start off this was quite a rushed and dramatic explore, certainly one of the more mission impossible type explores with the unpredictable weather this month!
Photos are mainly by @Ojay and @MartyZero and screen grabs from footage I had filmed.

The Explore
We got to the outfall to notice it had been completely rendered and spraycreted... from looking at older photos this section is completely ruined! (and layered with moths, Marty loves moths...)

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 12.23.55.jpeg

This section was a tad stoopy but doesnt last very long..
Screenshot 2023-07-10 164730.jpg

Round a 90* bend and construction changes (prepare for shitty screengrabs..)
Screenshot 2023-07-10 164829.jpg

The wooden penstock has been removed however the levers it was held up with are still there.. sad really!

Now for the fun bit...
Screenshot 2023-07-10 164903.jpg

This is the infamous bridgewater canal section, to be fair I was dreading this bit before arriving, but it turned out to be quite fun in the end!
Ojay went first guiding us through the silty shitty water, I was thinking of bailing out but I thought theres no point bailing to miss out on what lies ahead!
Screenshot 2023-07-10 164023.jpg

It only got to about arse deep, abit silty but great fun!
Now it was my turn:
Screenshot 2023-07-10 164543.jpg

ezgif-5-9a80ae23f9.gif

Pose for the camera!
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-09 at 19.26.26.jpg

Then Marty followed along after some encouragement.
Past a few side tunnels and other interesting features it opens up to 7/8 ft brick/stone tunnel before we meet with one of the things I had came to see..
Except..

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 15.53.32.jpeg

The enviroment agency had completely spraycreted over the penstock and lifted it up, whats left is a now concrete penstock..
They had inserted an rcp into the brick tunnel which made this section abit stoopy, it was also foggy as fook!!
Finally we saw daylight
The culvert has a small open section which we called the oasis!
Screenshot 2023-07-10 165010.png

Again no proper photos sadly, but some nice ones !
Off up the next section!
Screenshot 2023-07-10 191554.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 12.26.42 (1).jpeg

This section started off with a stone slide which was abit tricky to get up but not too much of a faff!
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 12.25.36.jpeg

This section had a very strong scent of detergent and perfume for whatever reason, we suspect somewhere it was raining and a sewer was going mental. This was later proved by a small cso spewing out some unquestionable substance infront of Marty and Ojay, smelly stuff..

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 12.26.27.jpeg

Then to another slide this time stone:

kokj.jpg

Looking back:

Screenshot 2023-07-10 191819.jpg

This took you up to another spraycrete section however I believe this has been here far longer than any other spraycrete section.
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 12.28.11 (1).jpeg

We had actually bailed back just after making it to this section as we heard thunder and/or lightning from a manhole.. However as time passed we decided we should just go for it..
Finally, after a dramatic explore we finally made it to the holy grail section
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 16.15.45.jpg

As Ojay and Marty were abit behind, I sat and watched it for a while, it was quite mesmerizing !
ezgif-5-feff1cfdbf.gif

The closer you got the deeper the water got, and neither of us were risking getting stuck and then it beginning to rain..
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 16.17.10.jpeg

We then set off back to the open section, neither of us wanted to go back through the deep bit, especially with incoming rain. Waterlines in the deep section from the night before had made us abit anxious...
We hopped out through someones driveway
"Are you part of the enviroment agency?"
"Yeah pal"
"Is it all okay down there?"
"Yep"
All while were climbing over someones brick wall :D

We decided a few hours later to see if we could find the infall
After abit of searching and jumping/climbing over sharp things we got to it:

Debris was crammed into the infall but after abit of prodding and moving heavy things we revealed this beautiful infall!
(and a few giant moths... I could swear that thing had fangs!)
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 12.28.15.jpeg

Stood at the outfall you could hear the rush of water from the falls ahead however we did not have suitable footwear or torches, back soon?
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 12.28.16 (1).jpeg

We then ended the night with a few drinks and over cooked chips from the restaurant just right of the infall :rofl

Cheers for reading!
Cheers to Ojay and Marty for the shots!
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 16.17.34.jpeg

Parky

Regular User
Fab day, but many questions on my part regarding architecture and design. The falls at the end is definitely the holy grail 😄 Oh and a great well written report
cheers marty yeah that falls at the end was seriously something awesome :D

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I don't like it when everything is covered in concrete. Why cover stunning brick or stone work. Great job on getting some great shots of the curves and changes along the way. Great narration too. Really enjoyed this report. :thumb

Parky

Regular User
I don't like it when everything is covered in concrete. Why cover stunning brick or stone work. Great job on getting some great shots of the curves and changes along the way. Great narration too. Really enjoyed this report. :thumb
cheers jane :} twas fun writing this report! yeah was a shame how much this culvert has been changed over the past 6 years or so