real time web analytics
Report - - Sallets Hole Mine - August 2023 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sallets Hole Mine - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
HISTORY

Sallet hole has been worked for Lead, Barytes and in its more recent years Flourspar, a common occurrence in Derbyshire where old lead mines were re worked for Flourspar once the un profitable by-product of Lead was now where the riches lay.

Fluorspar is used directly or indirectly to manufacture products such as aluminum, gasoline, insulating foams, refrigerants, steel, and uranium fuel.

It has been worked for this mineral on and off since the 1920's working 'deep rake' below Longstone edge, Drives were made into the limestone in the process of 'stoping' where ore was extracted leaving behind an open space known as a stope.

In 1987 the connection to the nearby 'Watersaw Mine' was made and mining was still going strong with 73,000 tonnes extracted in 1990.

The mining operations would drastically slow down in the 90's due to a decline in demand by chemical and steel sectors and the cheaper alternative of importing, China accounts for around 64% of the worlds Flourspar supply and Mexico around 27%.

EXPLORE

Having previously explored the flooded levels and 140 level more times than i care to admit it ide often see old photos of 'beyond the collapse' where extensive workings,collapsed connections and even some funky looking zig zag ladders lay.

On one of my previous visits the plan was to get the wet suits on and photograph the flooded levels with the idea of making the most of it and never returning but after hearing a rumor of someone having an on going active dig at the main haulage collapse we decided to have a nosey.

It looked worse than i thought with most of the rings and timers in bits on the floor surrounded by VERY unstable Toad stone crumbling at the touch, it did however look as if someone had been busy at work with a shovel, It looked far to unstable at the time but hopeful that if the digger didn't bury themselves alive then it may open up.

Fast forward a couple of months and there was word of a breakthrough and the following Saturday morning plans were made to tackle it, when we arrived it was clear that the original potential way through had been completely buried and a new way to the right hand side had been dug out.

This required a sort of superman feet first slide down with bags off whilst making every effort into not moving the unstable Toad stone above.

Once through we observed where the old dig had completely run through and anxiety levels were high,nether the less we fired up the 4 gas and cautiously moved forward knowing we'd have to get back out this way.

(photos are a mix of camera and go pro)

Once through the collapse this main haulage splits of into 5 ways

1.jpg

Looking ahead are 3 visible ways leading to the sub levels, a ladderway and fanshaft. to the right out of view is the west incline which is where the connection to Watersaw is... or was.

11.jpg

We decided to venture left first and ascend up some lovely looking ladders

3.jpg

Through a small hole in a breeze block wall was a muddy passage which went past penis level and became a bit to hard to wade through

2.jpg

back through said hole

10.jpg

A nice wet passage leading to the top of a tipping shaft

7.jpg

Back down the ladder into more mud

5.jpg

Looking back up the incline leading towards sub level 2 & 3

6.jpg

8.jpg

The mud and silt has built up quite high in this area leaving around 4ft of room where the gate is

13.jpg

A nice telephone left behind from the 80's ft some mycelium creeping in from the right

14.jpg

From memory i think this was the end of sub level 2 or as far as we could be bothered to venture before it turned into a muddy crawl

15.jpg

Another tipping shaft

16.jpg

Following the drive towards sub level 3

19.jpg

The end of sub level 3 where the ceiling meets the silt

25.jpg

26.jpg

A wet passage which leads towards the fanshaft with the fan still there (forgot to snap it)

28.jpg

One of the many workshops dotted about

32.jpg

Back up the incline looking back at the start of sub level 2

33.jpg

The last bit i wanted to see was west incline

18.jpg

21.jpg

A loose network of passages which most have collapsed

22.jpg

The zig zag ladders, was debating on climbing up but it turns out they don't go anywhere at the top

23.jpg

24.jpg

refuge point

27.jpg

One of the passages would have been the connection to watersaw which is also in a similar way to this place

17.jpg

And now i can confidently say i have no need to ever return to this place thank fuck

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
That’s a very cool report. I have to admit digging in the toadstone :turd:face , I shall have to try find the mad head he/ she is more nuts than me

Last edited:

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Have you done every bit in here now ?
Well the watersaw connections long gone so missed that, some old workings past the fan shaft with rails still down that I didn't spend to much time in apart from that I don't think I missed to much.

Theres a shaft on the flooded level I've not dropped before so still a small reason to go back one day

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s amazing. But looks so dodgy, and very very muddy. But some cracking pics, your underground pics are so good.