real time web analytics
Report - - Shelton Hospital, Shrewsbury - May '16 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shelton Hospital, Shrewsbury - May '16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History -
"The hospital opened in 1845 as the Shropshire and Montgomery County Asylum with an official capacity of 60 patients although already, on opening, having 104. The hospital functioned throughout the 20th century, reaching its peak population in 1947, when the hospital had 1027 patients.[14]

In 1968 tragedy struck the hospital when a fire ripped through a female ward, killing 21 patients.[15]

With the changing of the Mental Health Acts and treatments, the hospital slowly moved from a long stay hospital, to a more outpatient and care in the community based facility.[16]

Shelton Hospital closed in 2012 as services moved to the new £46m Shrewsbury Mental Health Village, called the Redwoods Centre, situated a little south of the old Shelton Hospital.[17]

The former hospital is a grade II listed building"

Explore -
A friend from work wanted to dip her toes into the world of Urban Exploration so I figured Shelton was the perfect place. A hospital and a fairly relaxed explore. Me and Dweeb had already been before a couple of times and these pictures are a mixture of those trips. We were lucky enough to see almost all of the hospital over the multiple trips as the workers kindly opened up new parts each time (aside from the hall which was locked tighter every time we went). I really enjoyed this place, although modernised it still had some old hospital charm.

_DSC2672_zpsxl5dm7rw.jpg

_DSC2670_zpslwo5mq4g.jpg

_DSC2649_zpskidg4uah.jpg

_DSC2645_zpspjlojaf7.jpg

_DSC2644_zpskj4sqzmv.jpg

_DSC2638_zpsenoitlwl.jpg

_DSC2631_zpszbzlvcou.jpg

_DSC2594_zpst4ack7im.jpg

_DSC2585_zps4clwbxdb.jpg

_DSC2584_zpsiiok7x5q.jpg

_DSC2666_zps47bl394j.jpg

_DSC2654_zpsnp0kmgwt.jpg

_DSC2652_zps9jjhvzzg.jpg

_DSC2646_zpsslqqyb7k.jpg

_DSC2194_zpspasuyaww.jpg

_DSC2211_zpsaimv1yyb.jpg

_DSC2206_zpsbsspr73z.jpg

The_Raw

Staff member
Some nice shots there, looks better from the outside unfortunately but still good to see a bit more of it :thumb

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some nice shots there, looks better from the outside unfortunately but still good to see a bit more of it :thumb

I disagree! But then we found about 50 clay pipes and the skeleton of a fish (amongst other things) under the floor on the first visit so that definitely upped.the interest level for me.

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There was lots of work going on over the weeks that we were exploring it so I have no idea if it's now houses etc.

You'll have to go and look!

The_Raw

Staff member
I visited a few weeks ago, it's a building site now. The majority of buildings are either converted or completely stripped out. The chapel is still there however but always been locked every time I've been and has cameras on it now.