Web
Analytics
Report - - Slim Pickings, Manchester - April 14 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Slim Pickings, Manchester - April 14

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I was wading through the Medlock with TheVicar some years back when we came across a large grilled outfall, with no obvious way in we passed it by. More recently I met up with Gone to give a likely lid a go but it had rusted shut and even with encouragement it remained sealed.

Eventually we found a way in (hence the name) and headed up the 2m spraycreted pipe. We passed through a concrete inspection chamber after which glimpses of brick could be seen in subsequent manhole shafts. There was one sidepipe along the route which led a short way to a dropshaft, this delivered a meagre flow and upstream the main pipe was bone dry.

After a long walk we rounded a corner and were met with a brick chamber with a bisecting wall. Looking upwards a multi landing access shaft went up quite some way to the surface.

13912208511_ac1ea9e111_b.jpg

13935388413_449e285554_b.jpg

13912216101_ff633a1712_b.jpg

Sitting on top of the wall looking down the other side it was obvious it was a stilling pond, there was a large concrete scumboard overhead and the sewer disappeared through a small penstock to pass under the spill channel we had just been in. I wasn't expecting the sight that awaited us at the bottom.

13935339905_a63d4026e2.jpg

13912210031_e7b3baaca3_b.jpg

The 9ft sewer enlarged into a brick funnel that was around 14ft at the bottom. Steps either side allowed us an easy way up and the rats a good place to dig into the mud that had built up at the top.

13935778884_c5681036c1_b.jpg

We continued up the interceptor for around 50m before deciding there was enough to photograph for one evening. The manhole shaft we stopped at was under a main road and the bang of traffic over the lid was loud enough to make us jump every time.

13935344495_aac11a2800_b.jpg

Back in the chamber, one of the landings above gave access to a passage that lead down to the sewer on the other side. Time had ran out so I didn't go down but there's a chance of access to the downstream section and walking all the way down to SSSI where it joins the Work 5 Interceptor.

A few more shots here: substormflow - Slim Pickings

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The downstream section shrinks for a while

10-9.jpg

You can pick it up further down stream but the flow is ridiculous, not something I was able to stand up in, I'm trying to find the one pic I took before it joins the overflow at Collyhurst