real time web analytics
Report - - Snape maltings.. Suffolk, September 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Snape maltings.. Suffolk, September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Bit of a chance this place really. The whole site is mostly an upmarket shopping area, with crafts and gifts and furniture being many of the articles on sale. There is also a very large concert hall. Nearly everything has been incorporated into the old maltings. The concert hall is stunning and everything here has been converted very sympathetically. But in one corner is a few derelict parts. Three years ago I had a quick look whilst at he shops and seen the buildings. Then went back a few months ago with man gone wrong and we went in and investigated properly. The mill goes up several floors. The upper floors are stripped but on the lower floors their are a couple of nice bits off machinery but very dark. Was also some old nice vintage sacks dotted about. The malting were first built in the 1840's by the industrial entrepreneur Newson Garrett. The site was built up extensively over a few decades, they even built a branch line from the east Suffolk railway to support the business. Up too three trains a day would run to and from the maltings. The site at peak was seven acres in size and one of the largest flat floor maltings in the country. The maltings was built to process malt barely then it was shipped by barge to London to supply the breweries. The maltings closed in 1965 and in 1967 the maltings were purchased by a local farmer. And the whole site grew from there. The main concert hall was built in the main building and was opened by the queen in 196. The building suffered dire damage two years later and was rebuilt in 1970. It was one of the first industrial buildings repurposed for arts.

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Is this really the only report on the place?
There might have been in the past. Can't say I have seen any. A friend was telling me he did the other side off the arches which I could not get in and showed me a few pics. It's not the sort of place anyone bothers with or prob interested in. Unless your like us who likes the stuff like this.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I did this years ago. At the time I dont think I thought it was substantial enough for a report. Interesting to see it's still there tho. Would have imagined it would have been repurposed like the rest by now.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Just realised I stopped in here last year on the way back from birdwatching at Minsmere, didnt even notice part was still abandoned lol

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely photos and a great find! I grew up near here and I used to go there all the time as a kid. I'm fairly sure I went in that building just over 20 years ago as part of a guided tour on how a maltings worked- was obviously in much better nick then! I last went here a couple of years back for a kayaking trip as there is a launch point on the Alde there, I didnt even clock these building were abandoned, its really interesting!

Who has read this thread (Total: 158) View details