real time web analytics
Report - - South East Essex College (SEEC) Carnarvon Road - Southend July 2014. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - South East Essex College (SEEC) Carnarvon Road - Southend July 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Background

The Carnarvon Road site of the South East Essex College was the main campus for students before it closed in 2004, replaced by a newer and more modern building located on Luker Road, Southend.

I studied at the college between 1997-1999 with my studies split between Carnarvon Road and the (now demolished) London Road site. I remember it being a pleasant place to work, located not far from the town centre and with amazing views.

The site remains empty whilst a decision is made on its future. Plans for redevelopment have been met by resistance over the years from local residents, including the proposal to turn into flats HERE.

It certainly appears builders are active within the site, as equipment is present inside although it’s not clear what they are actually doing.

The Visit

Firstly, acknowledgement to Boomstick84 who has visited the building previously and joined me on this trip – his first report can be found Here.

Armed with previous intel of the site, we confidently made our way to the entry point, only to find the builders had sealed it up. We continued to search for a way in (regrettably disturbing the sleep of a local ‘resident’ in the process) and were almost at the point of giving up when we found what we were looking for. We were in!!

This is a massive site with 5 floors to explore plus a basement (which annoyingly took forever to find but was worth a look) - unfortunately we couldn’t get on the roof this time round. We headed straight up to the 5th floor (where I studied) then systematically worked our way down.

We pretty much had the run of the place for several hours with a few creepy moments (the acoustics in this place are strange) with noises coming in from everywhere. At one point we were convinced someone was coming up the stairs but no one there! A heart stopping moment happened whilst on the ground floor - when a random person grabbed our attention from the other side of a window, apparently thinking we were builders and said he was looking for a job. Really??? At this point we called it a day and made our way out. A fantastic explore overall.

Inside, the light ranged from ok to pitch black – so excuse some of the poor exposure on photos. Taken with a Nikon SLR but I’m a total amateur…

The Rear Entrance
1_zpsd33a67e6.jpg

Rear Building
2_zpse1bc019d.jpg

5th Floor Art Dept
DSC_0658_zpscf3afdfd.jpg

Random whiteboard
DSC_0676_zpsb4e397dc.jpg

Computer monitors
DSC_0682_zps27f71924.jpg

Messy play?
DSC_0684_zps06e792a0.jpg

Corridor on 5th Floor
DSC_0689_zps35bcd949.jpg

Corridor
DSC_0692_zpsfe586624.jpg

Not looking her best
DSC_0694_zpsd3ed25f2.jpg

Seecafe
DSC_0698_zpscc6f6de1.jpg

Seecafe interior
DSC_0700_zpsdad7c914.jpg

Vending machines
DSC_0701_zps4438d7ab.jpg

Menu fit for students
DSC_0703_zps878cfd26.jpg

Random coursework folder
DSC_0716_zps550ee381.jpg

Female toilet
DSC_0731_zps2ede19f9.jpg

Dead computers
DSC_0734_zps3457af9d.jpg

2004 UCAS
DSC_0735_zpsd0195733.jpg

Desks
DSC_0738_zps0ada1eb5.jpg

Footie anyone?
DSC_0739_zps76a0b490.jpg

No comment!
DSC_0740_zps455ba9e8.jpg

Remember these?
DSC_0761_zps05a52197.jpg

Can't see us!
DSC_0764_zps202fecdc.jpg

Carnarvon Restaurant (bar area)
DSC_0767_zps58220479.jpg

Expresso?
DSC_0771_zps3117bb7b.jpg

Inside kids daycare centre (Little Tigers)
DSC_0789_zps4f8ae4a3.jpg

Card reader for photocopier (you had to buy a card with credits)
DSC_0796_zps0452b72c.jpg

Study Centre
DSC_0797_zpse9baa4d9.jpg

Study Centre (first floor)
DSC_0799_zps78bb7b65.jpg

Reception
DSC_0807_zps930ca156.jpg

Going up? (Lifts, open on ground floor)
DSC_0810_zps5a993c51.jpg

Corridor views
DSC_0818_zpsc5a8b333.jpg

DSC_0823_zpse504163b.jpg

Old Sony TV?
DSC_0826_zps9be9e966.jpg

2003-2004 calendar
DSC_0831_zpsa9e3e7a0.jpg

Old tapes
DSC_0842_zps7c4e43f6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate! :thumb

Was a good day and nice to go back and see it again with some company this time.

Thanks for your patience/perseverance in finding the basement stairs again, not sure why I remembered them being on the other side of the building! :D

Hopefully our "friend" won't be back looking for more "work" anytime soon :rolleyes:

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member

Was a good day and nice to go back and see it again with some company this time.

Thanks for your patience/perseverance in finding the basement stairs again, not sure why I remembered them being on the other side of the building! :D

Hopefully our "friend" won't be back looking for more "work" anytime soon :rolleyes:

Thanks again buddy, was a brilliant day. Must get on that roof next time!!

Oliver Creamer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: South East Essex College (SEEC) Carnarvon Road � Southend July 2014.

This place looks great, your report does it justice! Me and a friend might go see it early next week.

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member

Good luck - I've been back since and security has been rather improved! That said on a site like this it can change daily so go for it!

Oliver Creamer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Good luck - I've been back since and security has been rather improved! That said on a site like this it can change daily so go for it!

Brilliant, thanks for the tip! Any advice on getting in? First time explorer here. I wanted to go to Stambridge Mills but it turns out that was bulldozed a couple of years ago, much to my dismay!

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member

Brilliant, thanks for the tip! Any advice on getting in? First time explorer here. I wanted to go to Stambridge Mills but it turns out that was bulldozed a couple of years ago, much to my dismay!

I cannot share specific advice on getting in (nor will anyone else on this forum as it's not the done thing). Part of the fun of exploring is doing a site reccy, carefully planning a way in and being patient (I've been to sites that are in total lockdown one week only to be wide open the next). It's also worth getting to know other explorers in your area and tackling sites together.

If you haven't already done so - this link is worth a read: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq#faq_new

Have fun :thumb

Oliver Creamer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I cannot share specific advice on getting in (nor will anyone else on this forum as it's not the done thing). Part of the fun of exploring is doing a site reccy, carefully planning a way in and being patient (I've been to sites that are in total lockdown one week only to be wide open the next). It's also worth getting to know other explorers in your area and tackling sites together.

If you haven't already done so - this link is worth a read: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq#faq_new

Have fun :thumb

I figured! After I made that post, I looked through those FAQs and saw (quite rightly so) that specific details aren't to be divulged. Still, thanks for the tips! When (or if) I get in, I'll do a report and begin getting in touch with local explorers.

Take care!

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member

I figured! After I made that post, I looked through those FAQs and saw (quite rightly so) that specific details aren't to be divulged. Still, thanks for the tips! When (or if) I get in, I'll do a report and begin getting in touch with local explorers.

Take care!

No worries pal :thumb

essexehc

28DL Member
28DL Member

Thinking of going with a friend. Does anyone know if this is still here and still worth a look?

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member

Thinking of going with a friend. Does anyone know if this is still here and still worth a look?

Oakley did a reccy yesterday - sadly it has been significantly locked down since our last visit, with 24 hour security and new CCTV. The grounds around have been cut and cleared, and it's likely the inside has been fairly stripped. Also it appears that the ground level stairwells have been secured / boarded from the inside.

Anything is possible, but will be a challenge!

Junction_Derp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
they did a terrible job repairing fences etc, relying on some greenery to provide security, but the security is much tighter now.

MrMart

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Thanks for posting this. I was there 83 to 87. I cannot say how much happiness and fantastic learning i got from there. The pics look as if major refurbishment took place after i left. If you can locate any more pics i would be so grateful