real time web analytics
Report - - St Giles Hill / Chesil Tunnel - Winchester - Hampshire - Apr 2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Giles Hill / Chesil Tunnel - Winchester - Hampshire - Apr 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
After the first visit was a fail as some one had changed the locks a few weeks later I returned with the new key!

A nice little explore, nothing of great intrest inside apart from the crazy amounts of wheely bins! The council use this as there stores on a daily basis and is locked up tight with CCTV directly outside covering the tunnel entrance.

A big thank you to Winchester City Council in allowing me to visit!

History from the web:

The track also passed through a tunnel under St Giles Hill before reaching the station at Chesil Street, now the site of a multi-storey car park. Much of the disused railway land, including the Viaduct and the Tunnel, is owned by Winchester City Council.
The railway line was built in 1885 from Didcot to Winchester with a 441 yard tunnel under. St Giles Hill

The railway tunnel was part of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway which was Great Western Railway's attempt in the nineteenth to create a line direct to the Southampton Docks in competition to Southern Railway. GWR gave Winchester its second station where a Multi Storey Car Park now stands. The line was very important for the deployment of troops during the D-Day period in 1944.

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

10 I could not resist trying!
DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg