Web
Analytics
Report - - St Johns Church, Whittingham, August 2015. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - St Johns Church, Whittingham, August 2015.

Motionless Escapes

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
history:
The Church of St John, comprising of a chancel, nave, aisles and a tower, was built in the grounds of the County Lunatic Asylum, Whittingham.

As with all Victorian Institutions of the day, religion played a great part and, it was to this end that the church was built within the grounds, the contract for this and a Chaplain's house was awarded in September 1871.

St John's Church was Church of England, and provision for Roman Catholics was made in a room set aside in one of the wards. In June 1875 the Church was licensed by the Bishop of Manchester. The first hospital chaplain was the Rev W T Palmour. The Asylum cemetery was consecrated in 1895, again by the Bishop of Manchester and the chaplain was awarded 2/6d for each burial service performed.

The Asylum closed in 1995 and there are plans to convert the Church to a community center, this depends on whether they get listed building consent as St John’s is Grade II listed.

The cemetery was split into two halves, one for those who could afford to be buried and the other was a pauper’s cemetery. Today the cemetery is listed as being grassed over and all the name plates from the individual graves have been placed on a pile of stones.
ref: http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Goosnargh/stjohn/index.html

Visited with @copper_bollocks, nice little explore shame to see a construction site inside but worth while non the less. With plenty of old features left to see.
Sorry about the quality of pictures im trying :)
DSCF3267.JPG
DSCF3266.JPG
DSCF3265.JPG
DSCF3257.JPG
DSCF3249.JPG
DSCF3247.JPG
DSCF3250.JPG
DSCF3261.JPG

Cheers folks :thumb
 

Similar threads